Trip to Cape St. Mary's via Harricott - Brant, Northern Gannets, Kittiwakes, Harlequin Ducks - 2018-04-21

Frank KING

Apr 21, 2018, 9:18:18 PM4/21/18
I was curious about whether the Gannets were back at Cape St. Mary's so I headed out in spite of the high SW winds. The winds were gale force with gusts so forceful I could actually lean into the wind. It looks like most of the Gannets and a large number of the Black-legged Kittiwakes have returned. I did not see any Murres or Razorbills. The sea was too rough for Cormorants to stand on the rocks below. Scoping was impossible, binoculars were always shaking, but I did manage to get a few photos.

The Gannets were practically hovering motionless, right in front of me, as they easily coped with the high winds, making precision landings on their individual nests. It was comical to watch the other gannets as they turned their heads in unison, following each bird as it hovered over head and than landed.

HIGHLIGHTS OF TODAY

Harricott - 2 BLACK-HEADED GULLS. The BRANT and Canada Geese were back in the afternoon, feeding around the mouth of the river.
North Harbour - Loons, Red-breasted Mergansers and 3 HORNED GREBES
Branch - only a few gulls and sheep
Point Lance - 60 Common Eider, a few Common Loons and Red-breasted Mergansers, 2 Black Guillemot, and 38 HARLEQUIN DUCKS
Cape St. Mary's - 4000+ Northern Gannets, 3000+ Black-legged Kittiwakes, 8 HORNED LARKS

Photos on Flickr at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126304632@N05/sets/72157690140041160

David Shepherd

Apr 21, 2018, 10:22:27 PM4/21/18
Some fabulous Gannet shots there, Frank.

DS