Saturday down the shore (July 23)

AlvanBuckley

Jul 23, 2016, 9:04:06 PM7/23/16
Highlights from today:

Hooded Merganser (female) - Lower Pond, Witless Bay
Willet, Lesser Yellowlegs 4, Semi Plover 9 @ Renews
Least Sandpipers at multiple locations (Bay Bulls, Renews, PCS, St. Vincent's, Cappahayden, etc)

Off Cappahayden (Burnt Point) there were a few thousand shearwaters and ~20 whales feeding throughout the day. In the morning there was a lot of activity but by the time we returned in the afternoon it had died down. There was 1 Pomarine Jaeger in the morning + 1 skua sp, and a few other jaegers. In the afternoon only 1 adult light morph Pomarine with twisted tail streamers.

The whale action here was excellent with multiple breaches, slapping flippers, and tail waving. Quite the show!

St. Vincent's around noon was quite active. The 20000+ shearwaters were found near English Point (West side of the bay) and were loafing in the water. Difficult to view them with the sun, waves, and wind even though we walked all the way out to English Point. Shearwaters as far as the eye could see covering the ocean surface - some scurrying around chasing after capelin but otherwise fairly lazy sitting on the water digesting the fish they've been gorging on.

Amazing looks at 4 adult Pomarine Jaegers sitting on the water at the river outflow. 3 light morphs and 1 dark morph. 2 of these 4 with full tail streamers.

Someone else reported a Wilson's Storm-Petrel from St. Vincent's this morning with a solid description. Unfortunately we were unable to find any storm-petrels today.

Made a solid search for the Royal Tern (checked Renews twice, Chance Cove PP, and everywhere else except the Cape Race road itself). No sign of it. Arctic Terns in Renews now have chicks.

BD
VB
MB
AB

Roger ETCHEBERRY

Jul 24, 2016, 7:06:03 AM7/24/16
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 11:04:06 PM UTC-2, AlvanBuckley wrote:
> Highlights from today:
>
> Hooded Merganser (female) - Lower Pond, Witless Bay
> Willet, Lesser Yellowlegs 4, Semi Plover 9 @ Renews
> Least Sandpipers at multiple locations (Bay Bulls, Renews, PCS, St. Vincent's, Cappahayden, etc)
>

> Off Cappahayden (Burnt Point) there were a few thousand shearwaters and ~20 whales feeding throughout the day. In the morning there was a lot of activity but by the time we returned in the afternoon it had died down. There was 1 Pomarine Jaeger in the morning + 1 skua sp, and a few other jaegers. In the afternoon only 1 adult light morph Pomarine with twisted tail streamers.
>
> The whale action here was excellent with multiple breaches, slapping flippers, and tail waving. Quite the show!
>
> St. Vincent's around noon was quite active. The 20000+ shearwaters were found near English Point (West side of the bay) and were loafing in the water. Difficult to view them with the sun, waves, and wind even though we walked all the way out to English Point. Shearwaters as far as the eye could see covering the ocean surface - some scurrying around chasing after capelin but otherwise fairly lazy sitting on the water digesting the fish they've been gorging on.
>
> Amazing looks at 4 adult Pomarine Jaegers sitting on the water at the river outflow. 3 light morphs and 1 dark morph. 2 of these 4 with full tail streamers.
>
> Someone else reported a Wilson's Storm-Petrel from St. Vincent's this morning with a solid description. Unfortunately we were unable to find any storm-petrels today.
> Hi from Miquelon,

If you have photos of flukes of Humpback whale, I'll be quite excited to take a look and possibly make a match.