Spectacular Southern Shore

Lisa

Jul 25, 2016, 5:07:38 PM7/25/16
Stared in awe at the number of puffins, murres, gannets and whales at Brigus South, Bear Cove Beach, Cappahayden and Ferryland. Bay Bulls, Mobile, Witless Bay, Tor's Cove socked in with fog, but there were birds in the area.

Was surprised by the number of shore birds at Renews. Haven't had time to confirm all ids on my camera, but these are the ones I think are there: 2 Short-billed Dowitcher, 8 Semipalmated Plover, 1 Least Sandpiper, 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers (still quite brown so will check those photos), a possible Dunlin. Have a bird sitting on a far rock with a down-turned beak, still have to check that. Yellowlegs (combo) abundant.

Saw 9 species of warblers, 2 species of flycatchers, 2 raptors. All-in-all... an invigorating day. Oh yes, a mother moose with her baby greeted me in one of my usual trails.

Lisa

Jul 26, 2016, 5:17:34 AM7/26/16
Flipped through the shots on my camera to find an optical illusion on the Dunlin. There was none. The three little brown birds turned out to be all Least Sandpipers. Dowitchers confirmed. There were also 2 Ruddy Turnstones at Bear Cove Beach.