Heron in Renews

Frank KING

Apr 25, 2017, 12:39:25 PM4/25/17
Heron on Renews at 1:46. ? Gray Heron

Jared Clarke

Apr 25, 2017, 12:43:18 PM4/25/17
We'd need good photos to distinguish Gray and Great Blue Heron. No doubt you'll have some for us, of course ;)

Jared

pdli...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 1:38:38 PM4/25/17
Grey Heron!? Great Blue Heron!? How about Purple Heron? Any reddish along the neck? Did it have white or reddish thighs? Where exactly in Renews?

The remnants of Tropical Storm Arlene passed just east of us last week. That system originated from southern Europe.

Paul

brucema...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 1:49:35 PM4/25/17
HALT THE PANIC

Alison Mews has seen the Renews heron. It has rufous shoulders. + Great Blue Heron.

BM for Am

pdli...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 1:50:21 PM4/25/17
Just heard it's a Great Blue. Panic over.

Frank KING

Apr 25, 2017, 1:50:49 PM4/25/17
Looks like it is a Great Blue Heron. Rufous shoulders. Alison and Ethel were here. It moved all around the inner beach area near the bridge and out to highway.

Frank KING

Apr 25, 2017, 7:41:49 PM4/25/17
I have uploaded photos of the Great Blue Heron in Trepassey. It was a much more cooperative bird and I was able to get reasonably close to get photos.

The second Great Blue Heron was in Renews It was overly cautious and the slightest movement caused it to flee. It was less cooperative and photos are distant. You can definitely see they are two different birds.

Photos on Flickr at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126304632@N05/sets/72157679808165184/