Cape Spear

Catherine

Jan 14, 2018, 10:37:46 AM1/14/18
An unusually mild morning at Cape Spear. I saw the Horned Lark that was reported on the Facebook birding page yesterday. It was on the trail before the East Coasr Trail and before the muddy section. It was flushed by a couple of hikers and large dogs and efforts to refind it were unsuccessful. Other birds of note were several King Eiders in the Common Eider flocks, Purple Sandipers and several Dovekies close the shore.

Most unusual was sighting of several snails moving along the ground. It was hard to believe it was a January morning!

Catherine

Shawn

Jan 15, 2018, 1:17:57 PM1/15/18
Hi Catherine, could you be more specific. :) ....."the Facebook birding page" is not one that I am familiar with.

Shawn

AlvanBuckley

Jan 26, 2018, 11:44:14 AM1/26/18
The Horned Lark was at Cape Spear this morning:

It was on the main parking lot and eventually flew towards the point.

AB

J. Williams

Jan 27, 2018, 3:21:25 PM1/27/18
The Horned Lark continues at Cape Spear. I located it on the slopes south of the old lighthouse and it flew to the service road below the lighthouse.

Here's a photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/beothic/39898816982/in/dateposted/

Bhill

Jan 27, 2018, 6:34:03 PM1/27/18
Excellent shot, John. I didn't even come close - not even to finding the bird. Bumped into John and Dave on my way to Cape Spear and spent the next couple of hours spiraling up and down the hill so much so I felt like the lighthouse keeper, and all to no avail. It was a beautiful day though so nothing to grouse about. Consolation prize though was a Ruffed one at dusk at home munching all the buds off my willow tree.
And just to echo Chris Brown's remark, for ease of getting around and if you value life and limb, particularly ankles, then some kind of ice grippers are essential right now. Brian

Geoff Smith

Jan 29, 2018, 3:44:59 PM1/29/18

Bhill

Jan 29, 2018, 6:55:07 PM1/29/18
Success for me this morning too. Hard to miss, just had to follow all the other birders. Great day and lots of fun. Brian

Les Sweetapple

Feb 1, 2018, 2:32:40 PM2/1/18
On Monday, 29 January 2018 20:25:07 UTC-3:30, Bhill wrote:
> Success for me this morning too. Hard to miss, just had to follow all the other birders. Great day and lots of fun. Brian

The Horned Lark is still at Cape Spear. It was seen abt. 1:30 PM in the muddy area 200-400 feet north of the East Coast Trail sign.

Blair F.
Les Sw.

John Alexander

Feb 3, 2018, 2:51:12 PM2/3/18
I saw the Horned Lark at 120 breifly today just past the muddy area of the trail. It was to the right of the trail under the huge boulder " Whale Watchers Rock". It flew towards the lighthouse but I didn't see it again.
Message has been deleted