Parson's Pond / St. Paul's

Vernon Buckle

Jul 24, 2016, 10:44:58 PM7/24/16
On the return home I stopped at Parson's Pond first and then back to St. Paul's to check out the beaches. Not much happening in Parsons, shorebird wise, but what got my attention were BANK SWALLOWs. They were everywhere I went. Upon finding their nesting area, I watched as multiple birds (at least 200) came to and went from the many nesting holes along the banks along the shore.

I stopped at St. Paul's and went out to Tickle Point (I think that's what it's called). I didn't have a lot of time to thoroughly search the area but found 12 WHIMBRELs, 2 LESSER YELLOWLEGs, 3 RUDDY TURNSTONEs, and 8 GREATER YELLOWLEGs. A minute before I HAD to make haste to the ferry I flushed about 150 peeps. Hoping someone close by can check it out.

Vernon

Brendan Kelly

Jul 25, 2016, 11:29:36 AM7/25/16
Currently in St.Anthony for a weeks work. Can Check these locations on Friday morning.

Cheers,
Brendan

David Baird

Jul 28, 2016, 1:43:47 PM7/28/16
I should be able to check out St Paul's tomorrow. And I'll have a lot more time to bird for the next month. Not sure exactly where the best places are around St Pauls, or how to get to Tickle point. Is it north or south of the bridge?
On another note. A friend of mine who isn't a birder saw an owl about 1 kilometre south of St Pauls. Huge white and brown owl. After showing her owl pictured she's quite sure it was a snowy owl. I'll keep my eyes peeled, this would be yet another lifer for me.

Dave Baird

Vernon Buckle

Jul 29, 2016, 10:07:44 AM7/29/16
If you prefer hiking, park at the ball field and walk the trail towards those fishing houses about 1 km east of St. Pauls.
You can also get there by dirt road. About 1 km south of St. Paul's at the bend there are two different branch towards the water that will take you to the same location.

Vernon

David Baird

Jul 29, 2016, 10:51:32 PM7/29/16
Thanks Vernon,

I went to the Tickle point end of St Paul flats today.Spent a good couple hours there. Walked the beaches and part of the heritage trail.

Some of the highlights were,
11 Whimbrel, 7 Ruddy turnstone, 10 Greater yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Sanderling, 9 Least Sandpiper, 2 Wilson's snipe, 2 bank swallow.

There may have been more shorebirds, but without any facts to really back me up, I felt some of the yellowlegs and whimbrel followed me a bit. So I didn't want to double count them. Some peeps went unidentified as well. There were also a few more swallows, but my focus was on shorebirds. The ones I was able to ID were Bank Swallows. The Sanderling was seen with great views in transitional plumage along side a Lesa for size comparison. The Bbpl's were seen near some Yellowlegs. All had black armpits when they flew. A couple duck species also went unidentified.

Dave Baird