Pied-billed Grebe...

AlvanBuckley

Oct 19, 2017, 5:14:12 PM10/19/17
...it's back at Quidi Vidi!

After being discovered on Dec 16th, 2016 by Jeannine, a Pied-billed Grebe successfully over-wintered at Quidi Vidi lake last winter. To my knowledge this was the first successful over-wintering PB Grebe in Newfoundland. Today on my way home from work there was a tame PB Grebe near the Virginia River outflow. Almost certainly the same individual based on how tame it was and its location.
Last year it remained until at least the 24th of April.

The two usual Lesser Black-backed Gulls were also at the West end of the lake as the sun was setting.

26 Tufted Ducks between Long Pond, Kents Pond, and Kenny's Pond.

AB

lancy cheng

Oct 19, 2017, 7:02:23 PM10/19/17
Seven Lesser Black-backed Gull scattered around the lake this morning, showing different ages/plumage.

1st cycle: 1. There was a different 1st cycle bird judging by scapular pattern etc.
2nd cycle: 1 the regular
3rd cycle: 1 first seen this season
Adult:
1 "Buddy"
2 heavily streaked
1 in breeding plumage, pure white head and bright yellow legs. Possibly new arrival.

The/a Lesser × Herring hybrid was present in close range. Some brown made me think it might not be a full adult.

One one year old Iceland.

No rarity and didn't see the grebe.