Reverse Avalon Loop

edhayde...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2017, 6:20:05 PM1/19/17
Despite ideal conditions and a two-hour search this morning at St. Vincent's Beach, I did not relocate the Pacific Loon among the 72 Common Loon there. However, I did see the Northern Shrike at PCS sitting on a wire beside the street that runs on a slant from Cape Race Road to Rte. 10. As soon as I stopped the car, it flew across the road in front of the car, crossed Rte. 10 and flew down into the short coniferous trees just north of Portugal Cove Pond. I scoped the area but did not relocate it.

A couple of other birds of note:
- A pair of Harlequin Ducks at Eastern Point, St. Shotts
- 30 Snow Bunting and 50 Purple Sandpiper at Point La Haye
- Black and White-winged Scoters in small numbers here and there
- 32 Red-breasted Mergansers in Biscay Bay