Arctic Terns, Renews

Jared Clarke

Apr 25, 2015, 4:05:37 PM4/25/15
I just received a text from Alvan Buckley, who reports two Arctic Terns in Renews harbour. This would be very early for our usual arrivals, and are more likely Icelandic birds (which originate from Europe/Africa and tend o migrate earlier). The winds have been perfect for that.

Previous April records (there aren't many) have also been attributed to Iceland.

Cheers,
Jared

AlvanBuckley

Apr 25, 2015, 9:08:12 PM4/25/15
Thanks Jared for posting.

The terns were seen flying in the main part of the bay ("outer bay") of Renews. They did land on the rocks and appeared quite exhausted and were surprisingly well disguised among the rocks. They were seen from the North side of the bay.

Some photos posted here:
http://alvanbuckley.blogspot.ca