Mundy Pond update

brucema...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2015, 8:15:59 AM10/6/15
Tuesday morning at Mundy Pond there was still one Hudsonian Godwit, a new arrival Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Wilson's Snipe. Yesterday at lunch both godwit and an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull were present.

B Mactavish

Frank KING

Oct 7, 2015, 6:35:25 PM10/7/15
The conditions at Mundy Pond were not the best but there was a good number and variety of waterfowl. The drizzle, cool temperature, fog and overcast conditions made for a wet damp outing.

The Herring Gulls were in the middle of the pond and numbered 30 or more. There was a good variety of adult, juvenile and 1st and 2nd year.

In the Lagoon there was no sign of the Hudsonian Godwit. There were three other birds of note
Greater Yellowlegs - watched as it swallowed a small fish, whole.
1 male Northern Pintail with the most spectacular dark brown head and very sharp neck demarkation to the white neck.
1 female Green-winged Teal.

In the main pond
There was a second Greater Yellowlegs
1 Lesser Yellowlegs made two short flights along the side of the pond.
Three tufted ducks were swimming near the gulls
1 female Greater Scaup was keeping to herself

Frank KING

Oct 7, 2015, 6:39:15 PM10/7/15
There were also 2 adult Mute Swans and 2 juvenile Mute Swans

If anyone is out amongst the shoreline in front of the lagoon, I lost a small 2 inch coiled cable that I use for connecting my GPS to the camera.

Bhill

Oct 7, 2015, 7:35:04 PM10/7/15
On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 9:45:59 AM UTC-2:30, brucema...@gmail.com wrote:
> Tuesday morning at Mundy Pond there was still one Hudsonian Godwit, a new arrival Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Wilson's Snipe. Yesterday at lunch both godwit and an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull were present.
>
> B Mactavish

Visited shortly before 2 this afternoon and on the sandy spit of the lagoon was a greater yellowlegs, and a snipe hiding under the bank, and some other small shorebird scurried away out of sight. Was waiting for it to scurry back when the two godwits flew in. Was then distracted by the beautiful colours of a green-winged teal braking for a landing only to get a glimpse of the little shorebird scurry back out of sight. Waited for a while, gave up and went home. Brian

Frank KING

Oct 8, 2015, 2:40:48 PM10/8/15
Thanks Brian. I went back to Mundy Pond in the afternoon today and all the birds were present in the lagoon as you described, and more. There were three Greater Yellowlegs and one Lesser Yellowlegs. The Hudsonian Godwit were there as a pair. One was very active while the other slept standing on one leg for the whole time I was there.

There was a female Eurasian Wigeon and 4 female Green-winged Teals.

None of the birds seemed to be aware of my presence, hiding in the grass. I was able to get some great views and photos.

Frank KING

Oct 8, 2015, 6:31:54 PM10/8/15
Here are a few photos of the Hudsonian Godwit that was in the lagoon at Mundy Pond on October 8, 2015. They were easily mixing with the Greater Yellowlegs and the Green-winged Teal.

Check out the photos on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/126304632@N05/sets/72157659633976371

Peter Shelton

Oct 8, 2015, 9:00:28 PM10/8/15
Great shots!