Interesting article on a 4200 year old bird found frozen in Norway

Shawn

Aug 9, 2017, 12:09:38 PM8/9/17
Good Eye on Ian Jones for noting that the bird that was being hailed as a Red-winged Thrush is rather a Fieldfare. A great find nonetheless.

Shawn

Here's a link to the article...

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.4237823/quite-a-treasure-scientists-find-4-200-year-old-bird-preserved-in-glacial-ice-1.4237829

ILJones

Aug 9, 2017, 12:41:34 PM8/9/17
they've replaced the image with a very nice one showing BOTH a Redwing and a Fieldfare side by side - obviously taken in winter in Britain - nice teaser for Newfoundland December birding

Howard Clase

Aug 9, 2017, 2:13:17 PM8/9/17
On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 14:11:34 UTC-2:30, ILJones wrote:
> they've replaced the image with a very nice one showing BOTH a Redwing and a Fieldfare side by side - obviously taken in winter in Britain - nice teaser for Newfoundland December birding

It doesn't appear to have the white eye-stripe of a Redwing.

ILJones

Aug 9, 2017, 3:14:49 PM8/9/17
when we get really old, all of us start to go a little gray

David Shepherd

Aug 9, 2017, 10:14:43 PM8/9/17
And lose it, Ian?

DS