Winter List, December 1 2016

Jared Clarke

Dec 2, 2016, 10:47:14 AM12/2/16
I have posted the first updates to this year's winter list, and with 65 species we are off to a fantastic start after just one day! Highlights include Brant, Great Egret, White-winged Dove and SIX species of warbler.

There are certainly lots of common/expected birds still to be added - many of which may have been seen but not explicitly reported yesterday. I'll be happy to add any new reports later today.

https://birdtherock.com/winter-list-2016-17/

FYI: I have a busy week of travel outside the province starting tomorrow, so may be "out of the loop" when it comes to winter bird sightings and reports. Updates during that time will be few and far between, but feel free to send me reports or post them to this sight in any case - I'll do my best to catch ASAP when I get back.

Happy birding, and thanks for all the great reports!

Jared

Todd Boland

Dec 2, 2016, 12:02:34 PM12/2/16
You can red crossbill....3 seen at Bot Garden on Dec 1

Brendan Kelly

Dec 2, 2016, 2:16:29 PM12/2/16
6 Pine Grosbeaks at Pynns Brook this afternoon
Bk

Vernon Buckle

Dec 2, 2016, 4:51:08 PM12/2/16
Two Gray Jays, in and near Hawke's Bay this morning.

VB

darroch....@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2016, 5:42:25 PM12/2/16
And a sharp looking male Black-backed Woodpecker in Rocky Harbour yesterday morning.

Darroch

Jared Clarke

Dec 2, 2016, 8:55:31 PM12/2/16
Thanks, all! I've updated the list as best I can for now. I start a week of travel in a few hours, so it could be a while before the next update.

Jared

David Shepherd

Dec 3, 2016, 12:52:49 AM12/3/16
On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 10:25:31 PM UTC-3:30, Jared Clarke wrote:
> Thanks, all! I've updated the list as best I can for now. I start a week of travel in a few hours, so it could be a while before the next update.
>
> Jared

Have a great time. Say Hi to Jody!

DS

lancy cheng

Dec 3, 2016, 9:45:35 AM12/3/16
Great horned owl photographed near wesleyville.

Brendan Kelly

Dec 3, 2016, 10:46:15 AM12/3/16
A pair of Downy Woodpeckers at my girlfriends suet feeders in Deer Lake

Bk

Shawn

Dec 3, 2016, 2:21:03 PM12/3/16
White-throated Sparrow (at Clara's in Renews)

lancy cheng

Dec 5, 2016, 2:12:17 PM12/5/16
Mockingbird photographed in Lumsden today.

Vernon Buckle

Dec 5, 2016, 2:39:57 PM12/5/16
Also saw an American Pipit at Point La haye today.

Brendan Kelly

Dec 5, 2016, 2:57:09 PM12/5/16
Several Common Redpoll at my girlfriends feeders in Deer Lake this week
Bk

Les Sweetapple

Dec 5, 2016, 4:50:16 PM12/5/16
On Monday, 5 December 2016 16:27:09 UTC-3:30, Brendan Kelly wrote:
> Several Common Redpoll at my girlfriends feeders in Deer Lake this week
> Bk

Today Keith and I had a fox sparrow at Virginia River.
KF and LS.

Jared Clarke

Dec 6, 2016, 12:54:21 AM12/6/16
Thanks for the amazing reports, folks! I will update the list when I get back this weekend - in the meantime keep posting reports here so it is easy for me to find ;)

darroch....@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2016, 7:04:57 AM12/6/16
Not sure if anyone else has reported White-rumped Sandpiper yet but I saw two at St. Paul's Inlet on Sunday. One has an injured leg that has been there for a couple weeks now but seems to fly fine, hopefully it moves on soon.

Darroch

Vernon Buckle

Dec 6, 2016, 10:12:04 AM12/6/16
Seeing this is a 'Newfoundland' list, could I assume that the first half of the Strait of Belle Isle ferry crossing is in 'Newfoundland'waters?

If so, saw and photographed two Black-legged Kittiwakes and at least six Atlantic Puffins.

Vernon

Jared Clarke

Dec 6, 2016, 8:21:39 PM12/6/16
Absolutely, Vernon! Thanks ... these are great additions. I'll update the list when I get home to a real computer in a few days.

Jared

Ian Winter

Dec 7, 2016, 1:45:21 PM12/7/16
Female Shoverler at Virginia Lake 1515 today pic to follow

Ian Winter

Dec 7, 2016, 7:47:51 PM12/7/16
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 3:15:21 PM UTC-3:30, Ian Winter wrote:
> Female Shoverler at Virginia Lake 1515 today pic to follow

Pic of the Shoveler Just to confirm ID

https://www.facebook.com/183841188626952/photos/ms.c.eJw9zNsNAEEIQtGONiijYv~_Nbeb5eRK4FBwg1G2gPh5HRhVi2rqWhWfP7T42OX2kxvPsMfC89la35~;vPH2knGbg~-.bps.a.380197155658020.1073741876.183841188626952/380200308991038/?type=3&theater

Gene Herzberg

Dec 9, 2016, 4:56:55 PM12/9/16
wood duck female aat west end of quidi vidi lake, today Dec 9

Les Sweetapple

Dec 9, 2016, 5:12:21 PM12/9/16
Today Keith and I had a Merlin at Bears Cove, Southern Shore.
Les

lancy cheng

Dec 10, 2016, 1:20:01 PM12/10/16
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Point LA Hay

Vernon Buckle

Dec 11, 2016, 7:27:52 AM12/11/16
It looks like the Sandhill Crane is still in St. Anthony and has now reached the echelon of our provincial government. Christopher Mitchelmore posted on FB this morning as seeing it on Dec 10th.

Vernon

Ian Winter

Dec 12, 2016, 4:46:37 AM12/12/16
On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 8:57:52 AM UTC-3:30, Vernon Buckle wrote:
> It looks like the Sandhill Crane is still in St. Anthony and has now reached the echelon of our provincial government. Christopher Mitchelmore posted on FB this morning as seeing it on Dec 10th.
>
> Vernon

Flock of apx 20 Purple Sandpipers @ Point La Haye Dec 11, at around 1200

susanc...@nlesd.ca

Dec 12, 2016, 7:19:03 AM12/12/16
Thanks for all the reports folks ... I arrived back in the province yesterday and will start updating the list today. Keep 'em coming!

Jared

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and may contain privileged
and/or confidential information. If you are not an intended recipient, any
review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or
other use of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If
you received this email in error, please delete the message and attachments
immediately and notify the sender by return email. Thank you!

avis de confidentialité: Ce courriel, ainsi que tout renseignement
ci-inclus, est destiné uniquement au(x) destinaire(s) susmentionné(s) et
peut contenir de l’information confidentielle. Si vous n’êtes pas le
destinaire prévu, tout examen, copie, impression, reproduction,
distribution ou autre utilisation de ce courriel est strictement interdit.
Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez en aviser immédiatement
l’expéditeur par retour de ce courriel et veuillez supprimer immédiatement
cette communication. Merci.