Nevilles Pond, Chamberlains Sewer Outlet, Quidi Vidi Lake Jan 17, 2017 - Mew Gull, Shoveler, Merganser, Bonaparte's, Kingfisher

Frank KING

Jan 17, 2017, 6:21:18 PM1/17/17
Overcast day with intermittent snow flurries and occasional heavy snow fall. Temp around -3C.

NEVILLES POND - Ice covered except for small area near the dock.
Mallards, American Black Ducks
Dark-eyed Junco
Great Black-backed Gull - 6
Herring Gull - 26
Tufted Duck - 2 females
( no wigeons)

CHAMBERLAINS SEWER OUTLET
Iceland Gulls - 50
MEW GULL - 1 on the beach with the Black-headed Gulls
Black-headed Gull - 27
BONAPARTE'S GULL - 2
NORTHERN SHOVELER - 1 difficult to see amongst the Mallards and American Black Ducks
Common Goldeneye - 15
Greater Scaup - 23
Red-breasted Merganser - 4
Northern Pintail - 2

QUIDI VIDI LAKE - nearly completely ice covered
Herring Gulls - 1000 +
Great Black-backed Gull - 500
Iceland Gull - 100
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 4
Herring x Lesser Black-back Gull hybrid - 1
MEW GULL - 1
Ring-necked Duck - 1
COMMON MERGANSER - 1
Belted Kingfisher - 1
American Coot - 1
Pied-billed Grebe - seen by others but not me today
Tufted Ducks, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Ring-billed Gull
Song Sparrow - 1

Photos for some of the birds on Flickr at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126304632@N05/sets/72157677558241471/

Shawn

Jan 17, 2017, 7:06:21 PM1/17/17
Frank, were the two female Green-winged Teal no longer there?
Message has been deleted

Frank KING

Jan 18, 2017, 5:10:23 AM1/18/17
Shawn, I did not see the two female Green-winged Teal at Quidi Vidi Lake on January 17th. I suspect they were back in Kelleys Brook. Alison M. did report seeing two female Green-winged Teal at the Chamberlains Sewer Outlet.

There was a lot of ice at Quidi Vidi Lake and the amount of open water was getting very limited.