Cliff Swallows Quidi Vidi Lake

mpa...@mun.ca

Aug 30, 2016, 11:10:34 AM8/30/16
At noon today at least 30 Cliff Swallows low over the water close to the Dominion end of QVL.

M.P.

brucema...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 11:49:26 AM8/30/16
That is craziness! I looked at the gulls and shorebird (1 Greater Yellowlegs) at west end of QV Lake at 8:15 am but didn't notice any swallows there then. The winds and rain since may have brought them down from higher in the sky.

B Mactavish

pdli...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 1:42:12 PM8/30/16
Swallow insanity at Quidi Vidi. Counted 50 Cliff Swallows and at least one each of Tree Swallow, Bank Swallow and Chimney Swift. Most birds concentrated on west end of lake with smaller numbers extending all the way down to Virginia River outflow.

edhayde...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 2:18:45 PM8/30/16
Just had 10 land 20 feet in front of me on rock wall just west of Virginia River parking lot and stay huddled together for 10 minutes.

Les Sweetapple

Aug 30, 2016, 4:36:21 PM8/30/16
On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 15:48:45 UTC-2:30, edhayde...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just had 10 land 20 feet in front of me on rock wall just west of Virginia River parking lot and stay huddled together for 10 minutes.

Just left Quidi Vidi Lake at 5:30 PM and there is still lots of swallow activity. The grassy areas east and west of the Band Stand is the main areas of activity. Good views also of a chimney swift.
Les

Les Sweetapple

Aug 30, 2016, 5:22:21 PM8/30/16
PS. Thanks Bruce for pointing out the chimney swift for me. With all that activity in the sky, I doubt I would have seen him.
Les

David Smith

Aug 31, 2016, 7:53:45 AM8/31/16
Still here this morning.

Dsmith

David Smith

Aug 31, 2016, 7:53:45 AM8/31/16

brucema...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 8:19:48 AM8/31/16
Are you seeing a Chimney Swift Wednesday morning at Quidi Vidi lake??? If so it is a different bird than yesterday since it was killed by a car around 6 pm Tuesday.

there are some people who would like another chance to look for a Chimney Swift.

B Mactavish

David Smith

Aug 31, 2016, 9:07:26 AM8/31/16
No just Cliff swallows