Story assignments for "Radio" edition

Zack Sultan

Jan 29, 2009, 10:57:12 AM1/29/09
to New York Moon
Hello all,

A record breaking number of attendees discussed the prospect of a
"Radio" themed edition of the Moon at a meeting last Saturday.

The ideas that emerged are listed below. If you're interested working
on any of what follows, please tell us on our handy, E-Z-to-edit issue
grid: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pVxMGMwVVbhqDjNT_UhEPFg

If you don't see something you'd like to do, let us know.

NB: the deadline for content submission will be March 15, 2009. We'll
plan to publish on the full moon, April 9, 2009.

Central projects

- 24-hour-twitter broadcast. A piece of software would be developed to
collect filtered/curated [I don't think anyone wished random] twitter
posts, and "read" them aloud with a synthesized computer voice --
indefinitely until the apocalypse. It would at once satirize the
strange disconnectedness and banality of micro-blogging and create
interesting and funny new meanings through juxtaposing unrelated
"tweets." It would also serve as our proposal for the ultimate
extension of "voice-tracking" in light of the collapse of traditional
media. The new fireside chat.

- Musical compositions for non-existent movies. These would be
composed based either on titles or specific pitches for scenes. The
music would need to evoke objects, actions, and characters along with
'mood.' I think we should look to the "descriptive jazz" of Raymond
Scott as influence. Designers could work in tandem with composers to
create posters for some of the movies, which could go up on the
website and around town. We could even hold a blind film festival, in
which people collected in a dark room to listen to audio-only motion
pictures.

- A parallel, audio version of the entire issue. Each story, no matter
what it is, would be read aloud by the author (or a proxy for the
author, if desired). Perhaps presented in a "jukebox" Flash-app.
Perhaps presented as a modern take on the Prairie Home Companion
model. Mike knows a foley artist. New York Moon call letters. (This
would be an ideal central display on the site.)

- There may be some way to actually broadcast things on the air at
WFMU -- R. Hagen has a connection there. Our finalized list of stories
should go to him.

Map

- Visualizing radio waves in the city. We would get locations of NYC
broadcast towers and their strength, and plot them on a map.
Additionally, out-of-work scientists could be contacted to provide
oscilloscope (or other appropriate instrument) readings of the city's
"radio signature". Broadcast traffic in the air is one of those
amazing invisible phenomenon. Do we have any leads on this?

Reported pieces "Briefs and Reflections"

- Sound and emotional response. A piece investigating the claim that
listening produces a more physiologically pronounced emotional
response than watching. This could be paired with a self diagnostic
test, in the tradition of kids science museum exhibits. I think this
piece would be very valuable in terms of its bearing on the rest of
the content of the issue.

- A collection of top stories from non-English AM NYC stations. It was
said that these shows frequently propose radically alternate versions
of news/reality. (Audio) Interviews with regular listeners, e.g., taxi
drivers. Need some kind of talented language person for this.

- Ham Radio enthusiasts. Proto-facebook. Apparently Alex Pareene is
one? Steven will talk to him, I imagine. Interviews. WPA-style.

- Shortwave number stations. If there's a hook, it could be a reported
piece. If not, we could make our own encrypted message with a decoder
ring. Interviews. WPA-style. Additionally, I think a connection could
be made between CIA and MI6 use (abuse?) of radio as propaganda, a la
Voice of America, or even a look into radio-wave crowd-control
weaponry.

- Voices of Time! Radio waves qua energy travel throughout the
universe continually. Echoes of the big bang are still heard from
signals bouncing off lonely galaxies and careening into man-made space
listening devices trained to pick up "cosmic microwave background
(CMB), the cooled radiation that has permeated the universe for nearly
15 billion years." What unusual signals might be heard if one only had
the capacity to hear them? What strange waves might we ourselves be
broadcasting? And who might be listening? Musings on infinity, the
cosmos, death and presbycusis. It's incredibly hard to hear some types
of "broadcast", hence the perennial efforts to make devices that can
detect neutrinos.

This Island Earth

- The radio situation in N. Korea -- let's get someone there.

- Pirate radio in Marfa, Texas (or anywhere)

Blueprints

- The De-alienated commodity? A new kind of label for clothing that
spells out its entire history. This was inspired by reading Gomorrah,
by Robert Saviano. It's about the mafia, but he kind of suggests this
idea to illustrate that we have no idea where our stuff comes from.
But we could do a really nice actual label and attach it to a sweater.
The names of the farmers who plowed the field that gave rise to the
cotton, which road 100 miles to such and such factory, which was sewn
by Xian Jiang, shipped to Naples, evaded customs, the back of a truck,
repackaged, store window for 3 hours, then onto someone's back (leave
a space to write your name, or several spaces for the second-hand
market).

- Repurpose ultra-directional audio amplifiers, currently used for
'subliminal' advertising, to create invisible sculptures. (This could
be the basis for a narrative sculpture. Bernini's David and Goliath
was meant to be walked around to get create the feeling that it was
actually moving/about to move. A sculpture made of these ultra
directional amplifiers could use the same idea - walking around - to
tell a story).

- There's maybe a blueprint in the idea of RFID tags -- the constantly
broadcasting chips embedded in passports and some credit cards. Could
relate to the clothing label that spells its own history.

Eric Kohn

Jan 29, 2009, 12:01:20 PM1/29/09
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
I beg to differ re: "the strange disconnectedness and banality of micro-blogging," but maybe the project will illuminate this for you.
--
Eric Kohn
(917) 734 - 1189

Ryan Hagen

Feb 5, 2009, 7:31:33 PM2/5/09
to New York Moon
Let the record show that Eric Kohn and Zack Sultan are on a collision
course over microblogging. I suggest a gentleman's joust or duel in
Tompkin Square Park this spring to settle the matter.
> erichk...@gmail.com

Alexandra Atiya

Feb 11, 2009, 1:30:29 PM2/11/09
to newyo...@googlegroups.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/movies/11coop.html?_r=1&ref=arts

Does anyone want to write about this?

The article says:

P.S. 1.... intends to give up the 8,200 square feet on the 13th floor at 108 Leonard Street and turn it over to Alanna Heiss, who founded P.S. 1 in 1971 and until her departure at the end of last year was its executive director. Ms. Heiss, in turn, wants to use the location as a base for her latest project, an Internet radio station called Art International Radio.

Blaine

Feb 14, 2009, 4:03:55 PM2/14/09
to New York Moon
if anyone does it, and gets a personal interview, I'll do a portrait.