access modifiers for classes are now available

Philipp Tessenow

Feb 5, 2014, 4:29:19 AM2/5/14
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

We now have access control for classes within the bleeding_edge repository (have a look at
the pull request for details). You may prepend an access modifier to the default initializer of a
class to change its modifier.

Per default all classes are protected (except top-level classes, which are always public).

a showcase of classes with various access modifiers

As with slots and methods, access modifiers for classes are not enforced yet. However,
I currently prepare a modified Newspeak VM which outputs warnings (and later MNU's)
when an access violation occurs.

You can find an early prototype of that vm here.

The next step is to migrate the newspeak source to use the least possible access
modifiers while still being functional. Therefore, I first migrate every access modifier
to private and, in the second step, upgrade access modifiers where access violations
occur.

--
  Philipp