Expanding abbrviated fields

Jan Sinschek

Aug 20, 2013, 8:24:48 AM8/20/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

when automatically-generated object names as displayed in the deubgger become long, the debugger automatically abbreviates them.
I have yet to a find a way to get at the full name, as all hyperlinks lead to other views. This wold be helpful when my object could be of one out of many subclasses of a nested class.
Am I missing something?

cheers,
jan

Ryan Macnak

Aug 20, 2013, 11:39:29 AM8/20/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Generally, you should override #printOn: in your classes to give more meaningful (and typically shorter) names than ModuleHASH`NestedClassHASH#HASH.

If you really need to look at a long name, you can evaluate #printString against the object and look at it in its own inspector, where the Text view will display it across multiple lines.

If you are seeing whitespace after an abbreviated name, this is a UI layout bug. Most of the debugger was written before Brazil supported #compressibility:.

Jan Sinschek

Aug 20, 2013, 12:17:54 PM8/20/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
thank you, this is what I needed