Problem running Newspeak under Windows

Richard Sargent

Feb 14, 2018, 1:24:20 PM2/14/18
to Newspeak Programming Language
I have just downloaded (and installed) nsvm-spur-16.10.3643.msi from the Newspeak downloads page along with the ns-2017-09-05.32 image.

If I double-click on the image file, I can see that the VM has launched (nsvm.exe) and is running. It is burning about 1.5% CPU, but has no windows defined, according to SysInternals' Process Explorer.

If I launch the VM from Windows' Start menu, I get prompted to select an image file. However, when I do so, nothing obvious happens after that. The VM is running and using about 1.5% of the CPU with no windows defined.

My computer is a DELL Latitude 6420 running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. The CPU is an Intel i7-2640M with 8GB of RAM.

The VM is installed in the usual Program Files directory and the image is under My Documents. I have verified that the image and related files are writable and the directories containing them are also writable.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

Eliot Miranda

Feb 14, 2018, 2:07:21 PM2/14/18
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

IIRC, the Windows GUI support has fallen into disuse and hasn't been working for some time.  If you need Windows to work then there is some debugging to do.  Otherwise use linux or Mac OS X.

best, Eliot

Ryan Macnak

Feb 14, 2018, 11:02:46 PM2/14/18
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com