New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda

Jun 20, 2015, 9:26:18 PM6/20/15
to Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion, The general-purpose Squeak developers list, Discusses Development of Pharo, newspeak...@googlegroups.com

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.1370/r3386

Add the ARMv5/ARMv6 Cog Spur JIT VM!

Add explicit read barriers to primitives which access an argument as the
receiver (i.e. the mirror primitives).  Don't check if the actual receiver is
used.  Simplify failure where appropriate cuz the primitives will be retried.

Add -fwrapv to all linux gcc builds (to insist on 2's complement arithmetic)
and add makeallclean, making makeall do the dirty build.

Provide a -exitonwarn command line switch for the Mac and Unix VMs to allow for
CI testing of asserts.

Unix: restore the SCCS revision after the version number in -version output.

Spur:
Remember to count shrink requests

Cogit:
Fix bug in rewriting compiler primitives on module unload, etc.  The old code
didn't change the assignment to the primitiveFunctionPointer, which is needed
for correct management of failing primitive calls on Spur.  Simplify the post
compile hook to eliminate the label parameter; this is local to the Cogit.

ARM Cogit:
Use out-of-line literals for compactness.
--
best,
Eliot

Carl Gundel

Jun 23, 2015, 10:33:58 AM6/23/15
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com, vm-...@lists.squeakfoundation.org, phar...@lists.pharo.org, squea...@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Hey Eliot!

Does this VM allow Newspeak to run on the Raspberry Pi?

-Carl

Robert Withers

Jun 23, 2015, 11:01:31 AM6/23/15
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com, awa...@codeforamerica.org
Yes, pleaaase Eliot!

I must release my ideas into the public domain, in hopes that y'all here with NewSpeak and Code For America may be able to make something of it, or even make sense of it, released under the MIT license. I pray you wonderful, wonderful, wunderkind can hook up and make it happen, perhaps in time for the Awards Ceremony, September 30th. ;-}

Who really knows what is possible? Only God Knows and that's beyond time.

God bless you,
Robert
Business-Plan-Final.doc
flower-power-proposal.doc

Eliot Miranda

Jun 23, 2015, 12:30:55 PM6/23/15
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com, vm-...@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Hi Carl,

On Jun 23, 2015, at 7:33 AM, Carl Gundel <basic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Eliot!

Does this VM allow Newspeak to run on the Raspberry Pi?

The Newspeak and Squeak VMs are different so no.  I can include a Newspeak VM fir the pi if people want it, especially since u just got a pi 2, which I'm told is much faster.  So how much demand is there?  Rob, you want it [but there's nothing to stop you building your own ;)].  Who else?

Robert Withers

Jun 23, 2015, 12:43:13 PM6/23/15
to "swarm-modeling@...@augur.net, newspeak...@googlegroups.com, awa...@codeforamerica.org
I'm disabled, they tell me. My experiences inform me I have a complete inability to code to completion. In addition, I am thoroughly tired of being solo in this life and coding pulls me in that direction.  So, I'm done.

I'll share these thoughts to the public domain, add pull in a couple of more sets of folks, in the form of Augur.net and swarm.org, and pray with all my heart for cross-cultural synergy.

Best Regards,
Robert

Jun 23, 2015, 1:00:38 PM6/23/15
to swarm-m...@nongnu.org, te...@augur.net, newspeak...@googlegroups.com, awa...@codeforamerica.org
I'm disabled, they tell me. My experiences inform me I have a complete inability to code to completion. In addition, I am thoroughly tired of being solo in this life and coding pulls me in that direction.  So, I'm done, it's too much. I don't want to sail alone, anymore, but I do like to sail. Please sail with us.

I'll share these thoughts to the public domain, pull in a couple of more sets of passionate folks, in the form of Augur.net and swarm.org, and pray with all my heart for cross-cultural synergy.

Best Regards,
Robert

(I apologize for failing the challenge of email, in the previous post.  You see what I mean about having disability?)

Jun 23, 2015, 3:56:18 PM6/23/15
to ie...@ietf.org, COC...@listserv.binghamton.edu, swarm-m...@nongnu.org, te...@augur.net, awa...@codeforamerica.org, newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Seems related to what's discussed on ietf: "Randomness sources for the IETF 2015-2016 Nomcom Selection".

Sincerely,
Business-Plan-Final.doc
flower-power-proposal.doc

Carl Gundel

Jun 24, 2015, 10:11:42 AM6/24/15
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com, vm-...@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Hey Eliot,

I'm not in any real need to run Newspeak on the Raspberry Pi (I do own one) but I was only wondering if this new VM would make it work, out of enthusiastic curiosity more than anything.  :-)

Thanks,

-Carl

Robert Withers

Jun 24, 2015, 11:11:38 AM6/24/15
to tesp...@guilford.edu, ssha...@guilford.edu, dsm...@guilford.edu, newspeak...@googlegroups.com, COC...@listserv.binghamton.edu, swarm-m...@nongnu.org, te...@augur.net, ie...@ietf.org, awa...@codeforamerica.org, membe...@eff.org
Dear Thom, Steven and Donald,

I wanted to share with you what has become of me, after all these years when you lit the spark in me. Here is a business plan I put together, released to the public in the off chance that dreams can become realized with the help of the village. God willing.

I've added my dedications:

Dedicated in the Loving memory of Sheridan A. Simon

Jefferson-Pilot Professor of Physics at Guilford College, Greensboro, NC

1947-1994

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1994BAAS...26.1610A

Thank you Guilford College Physics for being a bright light to so many,
Robert

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:55:53 -0400
From: Robert Withers <robert.w...@gmail.com>
On 6/23/2015 10:33 AM, Carl Gundel wrote:
Hey Eliot!

Does this VM allow Newspeak to run on the Raspberry Pi?

flower-power-proposal.doc
Business-Plan-Final.docx

Eliot Miranda

Jun 27, 2015, 8:17:54 PM6/27/15
to Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion, The general-purpose Squeak developers list, Discusses Development of Pharo, newspeak...@googlegroups.com
at www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3390

Note that there's also a 64-bit Spur linux stack VM available for people (Hi Tobias!) who want to play with it.  The 64-bit image is in mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/SpurImages.

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.1388/r3390
Newspeak:
Enforce Newspeak access control in the interpreter, and enable it in Stack VMs.
Add a separate global lookup cache for non-ordinary sends.
Do proper lookups for self and super send misses from cogged code.
Do proper lookups for implicit receiver and outer send misses from cogged code.
Distinguish lookup for ordinary sends and for MNU processing in the JIT.
Skip private methods and stop on protected methods in ordinary lookup.
This should complete Newspeak access control.

Spur:
Add explicit read barriers to primitives which access an argument as the
receiver (i.e. the mirror primitives).  Don't check if the actual receiver is
used.  Simplify failure where appropriate because primitives will be retried.
Fix bogus assert in extSendBytecode.  Simplify
SpurMemoryManager>>classForClassTag:; its assert is superfluous.

ARM Cogit:
Add hardware FP support for ARM.
Runs all SUnit tests and assorted benchmarks ok, makes nbody 3X faster.
Probably some cleaning up to do, possibly more careful NaN handling etc.

Fix PIC parsing for out-of-line literals.  Add an assert to the closed PIC
prototype code to check all PIC parameters are accessible.  Add a
containsAddress: to abstract away the test for a target within the PIC.

--
best,
Eliot

Ryan Macnak

Jun 28, 2015, 3:03:53 PM6/28/15
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

These VMs enforce access control. Windows users will need a boot image from today; Mac and Linux users should be able to use any image from the past two months or so.

Ryan

Eliot Miranda

Jul 4, 2015, 12:16:01 PM7/4/15
to Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion, Chris Muller, The general-purpose Squeak developers list, Discusses Development of Pharo, newspeak...@googlegroups.com

These include the Squeak 4.6 & 5.0 release candidate VMs.  Also included is a Newspeak ARM JIT VM.

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.1403/r3395

Fix long-standing bug in primitiveVMParameter for
setting, and hence allow Spur to set maxOldSpaceSize.

Spur:
Provide a limit to the size of old space on Spur.  Access maxOldSpaceSize
via vmParameterAt: 67 & command line parameter -maxoldspace.

Cogit:
Simplify pushRemoteTemp register management to be able to improve further the
overall register management.
--
best,
Eliot

Eliot Miranda

Jul 6, 2015, 7:25:49 PM7/6/15
to Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion, The general-purpose Squeak developers list, Discusses Development of Pharo, newspeak...@googlegroups.com

These are new release candidates.  The Travis CI Newspeak bootstrap job caught a serious bug with become and process switch in the Spur VMs.

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.1405/r3397

Spur:
Make sure the post become action unforwards the Process in the activeProcess
inst var.  Add some more asserts to check.  Also follow the specialObjectsArray
after a pin become.

Generically use storePointerUnchecked: when storing nils into the process lists.
--
best,
Eliot

Eliot Miranda

Jul 6, 2015, 11:27:15 PM7/6/15
On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot....@gmail.com> wrote:

These include the Squeak 4.6 & 5.0 release candidate VMs.  Also included is a Newspeak ARM JIT VM.

Apologies to anyone who has wasted time trying to use the Newspeak ARM VMs.  They're not yet ready for use as there's no Alien FFI support in the VM.  So they're not much use.  To spare anyone I've taken them down.  At least we know there's work to be done now.