Fatal VM error using latest image/vm

Wouter Gazendam

Oct 17, 2017, 3:22:10 AM10/17/17
to Newspeak Programming Language
Hi,

I'm getting a Fatal VM error using the latest image and Win32 vm. I've tried using previous vm's and images but those also seem to give errors.
See attached error message & crash dump.

Thank you,

Wouter
Capture.PNG
crash.dmp

Vaidotas Didžbalis

Oct 17, 2017, 5:53:26 AM10/17/17
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hello group,
Just to confirm, I also ran into this
regards,
Vaidotas

Gilad Bracha

Oct 17, 2017, 10:42:04 AM10/17/17
to Newspeak Programming Language
Thanks Wouter. I'm afraid the Windows VM situation is problematic. The  version on the download page is s quite old, but later VMs have proved completely unusable.  I am not at all sure when this will be fixed.  See https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/151

Wouter Gazendam

Oct 18, 2017, 8:29:36 AM10/18/17
to Newspeak Programming Language
Is there a last-known-good vm/image combination?

Gilad Bracha

Oct 18, 2017, 10:22:19 AM10/18/17
to Newspeak Programming Language
The VM on the downloads page, and the 2017.05.31 image
This was the last image before the VM work switched to OpenSmalltalk. Since then things on Windows have been broken.  Some progress has been made - for a long time there was no testing done for windows on OpenSmalltalk at all. I hope that we can get someone to get it to a point where a proper installer is built and tested, and the VM issues are resolved. I can't say that I'm happy with how it's gone so far.

Wouter Gazendam

Oct 20, 2017, 3:35:15 AM10/20/17
to Newspeak Programming Language
Thanks; this seems to work.

Is there anything I (as a windows user) can do wrt the OpenSmalltalk VM? My C skills are abysmal but I can test new builds.

Gilad Bracha

Oct 20, 2017, 12:40:37 PM10/20/17
to Newspeak Programming Language
Hi Wouter,

As far as I know, Fabio (m...@fniephaus.com) is planning to refine the Newspeak setup on OpenSmalltalk so it builds a proper installer (.msi). If you feel comfortable figuring that out, you could get in touch with him and see if that could be moved along faster.

At a more basic level, you could ping Eliot and remind him that this is a problem for real users.