Where can I find the (button) Image assets?

Philipp Tessenow

Oct 11, 2013, 5:51:31 AM10/11/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

recently an access control pull request made it into newspeak which shows the access control flags for methods. There have been discussions to not show the flags with text (as in the pull request) but with icons.

Out of curiosity I looked through the sources to find the place where the images are defined. HopscotchImages#importImages seems to be the place. It imports images from the filesystem:

import: 'ExplorerLikeIcons', slash, 'minus.png' as: #disclosureMinusImage;

I haven't found those images in the newspeak repository nor in the nsboot repository. Is there a public place I don't know of where I can find those images?

yours,
Philipp

Ryan Macnak

Oct 11, 2013, 1:43:20 PM10/11/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com

Once upon a time, we had a more complicated boot script that among other things handled the intermediate dialects of Newspeak and loading the icons from files. This version of nsboot lived in another repository whose URL I can't find after some quick searching of my inbox.

Today the icons come from the array literals in the methods of HopscotchImages, which are what used to be generated from the files.

In a future where we implement proper namespaces for the IDE, they will be versioned objects that live in the same repository as the class declarations.

Gilad Bracha

Oct 11, 2013, 1:45:53 PM10/11/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Should you want the files for some reason, I still have a copy.
--
Cheers, Gilad

Vassili Bykov

Oct 11, 2013, 2:05:26 PM10/11/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Was there really a script loading the icons from files? Back in pre-open source days, the images went into the build through a check-in of HopscotchImages. I was running the import manually.

Gilad, do the files you have include Photoshop files or only .png? The .png files are also only build artifacts. They were rendered from Photoshop sources on my personal MacBook, so I'm not even sure if the sources ever ended up at Cadence. I rummaged around Fusion now, all the old stuff seems to be there but I see neither the Photoshop files nor the .pngs.

Gilad Bracha

Oct 11, 2013, 2:43:00 PM10/11/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Vassili,

I only have PNG files.
--
Cheers, Gilad

Philipp Tessenow

Oct 12, 2013, 11:18:35 AM10/12/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com, gi...@bracha.org
I thought about showing the access modifier for slots too (like I did for methods) and use icons this time. At the moment I display random images from HopscotchImages. I am fine with displaying random (or ugly self-built) icons in the next pull request, because (if i remember correctly) Vassili plans to add icons for the (method) access modifiers anyways.

So, I do not actually need those images (especially not if it means wasting hours on the search for old photoshop files). I just assumed that there must be some original images out there, because of the existence of HopscotchImages#importImages.

yours,
Philipp

Gilad Bracha

Oct 12, 2013, 11:48:54 AM10/12/13
to newspeak...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

Of course, any display of access control must apply uniformly to methods, slots and classes.  The same icons would be used in all cases.
--
Cheers, Gilad