U.S. Absinthe Distillery Opens

cajun-gwailo

Dec 24, 2007, 7:48:11 AM12/24/07

WindsorFox-{SS}-

Dec 24, 2007, 10:22:29 AM12/24/07
cajun-gwailo wrote:
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-absinthe_webdec22,1,1604335.story?ctrack=3&cset=true

Can't read it, it wants a membership. But how? Isn't Absinthe still
illegal in the US?

--
"I get the impression that Jamie is a papusa or two short of a
combination plate." - Kent Wills

"So you think AUK is some kind of really tight knit CABAL?
ROTFLMAO! Its a bunch of lazy tossers with too much time
on their hands and few friends.
WELCOME TO USENET.
Drive thru please..." - §ñühw¤£f

WindsorFox-{SS}-

Dec 24, 2007, 10:33:05 AM12/24/07

cajun-gwailo

Dec 24, 2007, 12:28:41 PM12/24/07
On Dec 24, 7:22 am, WindsorFox-{SS}- <windsor...@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote:
> cajun-gwailo wrote:
> >http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-absinthe_webdec22,...

> Can't read it, it wants a membership. But how? Isn't Absinthe still
> illegal in the US?

the ban was lifted. here's the article

December 22, 2007

: ALAMEDA, Calif. - Green is the new black. That would be the pearly
green of absinthe, the legendary liquor said to have made Vincent Van
Gogh decide that cutting off his ear was an idea whose time had come.

Ernest Hemingway called it "liquid alchemy," Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
allegedly carried a supply in a hollow cane and French poet Paul
Verlaine cursed it as his ruin. On Friday, for the first time since
1912, U.S.-made absinthe was sold with hopes that it will become the
cult drink of the season.

Hundreds dodged work, stood in a long, madness-inducing line and
forked over $75 for a bottle of absinthe at St. George Spirits, a
boutique firm that is launching a campaign to market the liquor.

Why the ban?
Karen Juzefczyk, 49, drove for six hours to get to the distillery,
observed a preparation ritual involving the careful introduction of
two miniature ice cubes, raised a glass in the St. George Spirits
tasting room and took her first sip. The experience reduced her
vocabulary to one word: "Wow."

The price tag for the 120-proof spirit shouldn't be an obstacle for
Chicago households, which spend more money per year on alcohol than
any other city surveyed by the U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics.
According to the most recent survey, households in Chicago spent $839
per year on alcohol, compared to New York at $488 a year and $757 a
year in San Francisco.

If anything, the expensive price is part of the appeal, said David
Hanson, professor of sociology emeritus at State University of New
York College at Pottsdam and a longtime alcohol researcher. Alcohol
consumption is inversely associated with social status, he said. "The
lower the social class, the higher the abstention," he said.
"Similarly, the more educated people are in the U.S., the more likely
they are to drink."

Alleged to have induced feverish creativity in painters such as Edvard
Munch, Pablo Picasso and Paul Gauguin, absinthe was banned in France
and several other countries for nearly 100 years as opponents claimed
the drink caused widespread debauchery and delinquency. Some say the
ban was the result of a campaign by the French wine industry to
discredit the popular drink. The health risks have been debunked, said
Hanson, the researcher.

European countries have gradually lifted their bans and in March, the
federal government finally agreed to allow absinthe to be sold again
in the U.S. Three foreign-made absinthes are already on the market and
20 other brands have asked for permission to sell in the U.S.,
according to Robert Lehrman, a Washington, D.C., lawyer who worked for
four years to get the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau to lift
the ban.

From the start, devotees have claimed that this is a drink like no
other. The green spirit produces an intoxication that is coupled with
a caffeine-like alertness, according to imbibers. Robert Jordan, a
character in the Hemingway novel "For Whom the Bell Tolls," described
the drink as "opaque, bitter, tongue-numbing, brain-warming, stomach-
warming, idea-changing liquid alchemy" and carried a flask of it.

"You can drink it and still be lucid," said Chuck Kapelke, 33, of
Oakland, who was roughly No. 43 in a 300-plus person line Friday
waiting for the 11 a.m. opening sales. "It's almost like a mix of Red
Bull and vodka."

The flavor is robust. In the St. George Sprits Absinthe Verte, the
sensations include the licorice-taste of anise, a whiff of fresh
grass, a touch of citrus and a hint of mint, said Lance Winters, a
master distiller at St. George Spirits who created the absinthe.
"Absinthe represents the pinnacle of the distiller's art," he said.
"You end up with distilled poetry in a glass."

As for Van Gogh's trouble with the stuff, Winters said, "My guess is
Van Gogh had some issues before going into the bar." He added, "I've
consumed quite a bit of absinthe in my studies and I have both my ears
intact."

In the distillery's plant in the vast military hangar on a former Navy
base, the St. George Spirits team wore T-shirts proclaiming "Green is
the new black" and performed the ritual of preparing absinthe. While
other absinthes call for dissolving a sugar cube into the spirit, the
St. George Spirit Absinthe Verte preparation involved gently releasing
two tiny ice cubes into the dense green liquid, which instantly turned
cloudy as essential oils emerged from herbs. Many were the hours that
19th Century poets and artists spent studying the clouds in an
absinthe glass in Paris cafes.

Among those imbibing here were Kevin Roche, 47, a research scientist,
who is so avid in his devotion to St. George Spirits that he designed
a military-style gray uniform with a St. George Spirits Tactical
Alcohol Consumption Squad insignia. He and two other squad members
were on hand in full regalia. "We're so serious about our drinking we
have uniforms for it," said Roche.

Dr. H. Westley Clark, director of the federal Center for Substance
Abuse Treatment, said the introduction of high-alcohol absinthe called
for "caveat emptor," let the buyer beware. "You worry about college
students," said Clark, who questioned whether some will choose to
drink absinthe undiluted. "There are a lot of people who test the edge
of the universe."

In the cold Friday, the line snaked through the parking lot and out
the gate. One would-be patron read a thriller, another a newspaper,
while Brezi Little, 29, bounced her 5-month-old daughter, Emma, in her
carrier. Little was on a mission to get a bottle of absinthe as a
surprise gift for her husband and, as the carrier of the youngest
person in line, was the subject of much ribbing. The absinthe was
"just in time for teething," said Little, who noted that a tooth was
pushing through Emma's lower left gum.

First in line was Joanne Clapp Fullagar of Alameda, a production
editor, who had queued up at 8:30 a.m. "I'm technically working at
home," she said. "My boss called and I'm going to buy her a bottle."

Willielmus de Noers

Dec 24, 2007, 2:15:22 PM12/24/07
Verily, on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:28:41 -0800 (PST), in accordance with
the prophecy, cajun-gwailo <junk...@crankletters.com> proclaimed:

> observed a preparation ritual involving the careful introduction of
> two miniature ice cubes, raised a glass in the St. George Spirits

I'm no expert, but I think it's miniature "sugar cubes," not "ice
cubes."

> the new black" and performed the ritual of preparing absinthe. While
> other absinthes call for dissolving a sugar cube into the spirit, the
> St. George Spirit Absinthe Verte preparation involved gently releasing
> two tiny ice cubes into the dense green liquid, which instantly turned

Aha!

> cloudy as essential oils emerged from herbs. Many were the hours that
> 19th Century poets and artists spent studying the clouds in an
> absinthe glass in Paris cafes.

Hmmmm.

--
W. de N.

"The road to truth is long, and lined the entire way with annoying bastards."

-- Alexander Jablokov

cajun-gwailo

Dec 24, 2007, 2:18:51 PM12/24/07
On Dec 24, 11:15 am, Willielmus de Noers <liber...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Verily, on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:28:41 -0800 (PST), in accordance with
> the prophecy, cajun-gwailo <junkm...@crankletters.com> proclaimed:

> > observed a preparation ritual involving the careful introduction of
> > two miniature ice cubes, raised a glass in the St. George Spirits
>
> I'm no expert, but I think it's miniature "sugar cubes," not "ice
> cubes."
>
> > the new black" and performed the ritual of preparing absinthe. While
> > other absinthes call for dissolving a sugar cube into the spirit, the
> > St. George Spirit Absinthe Verte preparation involved gently releasing
> > two tiny ice cubes into the dense green liquid, which instantly turned
>
> Aha!
>
> > cloudy as essential oils emerged from herbs. Many were the hours that
> > 19th Century poets and artists spent studying the clouds in an
> > absinthe glass in Paris cafes.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> --
> W. de N.
>
> "The road to truth is long, and lined the entire way with annoying bastards."
>
>     -- Alexander Jablokov

yeah, sugar cubes is the way i've always been served it

inez

Dec 24, 2007, 7:07:46 PM12/24/07
cajun-gwailo wrote:
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-absinthe_webdec22,1,1604335.story?ctrack=3&cset=true

So does this mean it's now legal throughout the US?
Would love to bring those NOLA boys back home to make their absinthe here.

--
inez

inez

Dec 24, 2007, 7:12:35 PM12/24/07

I've only had it the once with just the ice. Quite illegally.
It was nummy:)

--
inez

bbb

Dec 24, 2007, 7:31:39 PM12/24/07

>> yeah, sugar cubes is the way i've always been served it
>
> I've only had it the once with just the ice. Quite illegally.
> It was nummy:)

what did it taste like?

NotMe

Dec 24, 2007, 7:48:07 PM12/24/07

"bbb" <buggerbug...@bug.com> wrote in message

Liquorish (sic) (G,D,&R)

Willielmus de Noers

Dec 24, 2007, 8:56:10 PM12/24/07
Verily, on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:48:07 -0500, in accordance with the
prophecy, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> proclaimed:

Licorice, eh?

Anise?

JimL

Dec 24, 2007, 11:19:00 PM12/24/07
On Dec 24, 7:56 pm, Willielmus de Noers <liber...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Verily, on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:48:07 -0500, in accordance with the
> prophecy, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> proclaimed:
>

> > "bbb" <buggerbuggerbug...@bug.com> wrote in message

> > | what did it taste like?
>
> > Liquorish (sic) (G,D,&R)
>
> Licorice, eh?
>
> Anise?
>
> --
> W. de N.

We don't want to know where you keep yours.

R. G.

Dec 25, 2007, 12:00:06 AM12/25/07
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:22:29 -0600, WindsorFox-{SS}-
<winds...@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote:

>cajun-gwailo wrote:
>> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-absinthe_webdec22,1,1604335.story?ctrack=3&cset=true
>>

> Can't read it, it wants a membership. But how? Isn't Absinthe still
>illegal in the US?

If you just go to http://www.chicagotribune.com

do a search on absinthe and select the resulting link, you can read it
without registering.

I know 'cause I just did it.

--

R. G.

Willielmus de Noers

Dec 25, 2007, 2:55:25 AM12/25/07
Verily, on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:19:00 -0800 (PST), in accordance with
the prophecy, JimL <Jim...@gmail.com> proclaimed:

Agachase y separare sus naigas con sus manos.

inez

Dec 25, 2007, 1:11:39 PM12/25/07
Willielmus de Noers wrote:
> Verily, on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:48:07 -0500, in accordance with the
> prophecy, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> proclaimed:
>
>> "bbb" <buggerbug...@bug.com> wrote in message

>> | what did it taste like?
>>
>> Liquorish (sic) (G,D,&R)
>
> Licorice, eh?
>
> Anise?

I only remember really liking it. We're talking 1981ish, so it's hard to
hold on to a one time taste. I do love anise unsweetened, so maybe, but
I should remember that since I know it. I generally don't touch liqueurs
and stay away from sweet alcohol drinks like the plaque since they make
me feel like I've got it. But there are several different blends of
absinthe too and I have no idea which/what I had. I'd like to say herbal
and woody, but I'm sure that just from reading about it. I want to say
things like smooth, round, supple, smoky; but that's invention of what I
might seek. No, I just can't say...

--
inez

cajun-gwailo

Dec 25, 2007, 4:23:23 PM12/25/07
On Dec 25, 10:11 am, inez <nezm...@or.fact> wrote:
> Willielmus de Noers wrote:
> > Verily, on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:48:07 -0500, in accordance with the
> > prophecy, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> proclaimed:
>
> >> "bbb" <buggerbuggerbug...@bug.com> wrote in message

> >> Liquorish (sic) (G,D,&R)
>
> > Licorice, eh?
>
> > Anise?
>
> I only remember really liking it. We're talking 1981ish, so it's hard to
> hold on to a one time taste. I do love anise unsweetened, so maybe, but
> I should remember that since I know it. I generally don't touch liqueurs
> and stay away from sweet alcohol drinks like the plaque since they make
> me feel like I've got it. But there are several different blends of
> absinthe too and I have no idea which/what I had. I'd like to say herbal
> and woody,
>
> --
> inez- Hide quoted text -

Pernod and Akavit would be a couple other licorice alcohol you might
like.

>>> want to say I like

> things like smooth, round, supple, smoky;

aw, thanks. (blush)

cajun-gwailo

Dec 25, 2007, 4:24:49 PM12/25/07
On Dec 24, 7:22 am, WindsorFox-{SS}- <windsor...@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote:
> cajun-gwailo wrote:
> >http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-absinthe_webdec22,...
>
>     Can't read it, it wants a membership.

once a year I feel compelled to remind NONGers that they can use
bugmenot.com to get a password for many sites that require
registration.

WindsorFox-{SS}-

Dec 25, 2007, 8:19:07 PM12/25/07

I don't know WTF a NONGer is but I reged with a mailinator address.

R. G.

Dec 26, 2007, 12:13:38 AM12/26/07
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:19:07 -0600, WindsorFox-{SS}-
<winds...@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote:

>> once a year I feel compelled to remind NONGers that they can use
>> bugmenot.com to get a password for many sites that require
>> registration.
>
> I don't know WTF a NONGer is but I reged with a mailinator address.

Then you must not have been exposed to the FAPON! If you plan on being
a regular here, that must be "rectified" (and I use that word
advisedly - smirk)

--

R. G.

gatt

Dec 27, 2007, 1:23:53 PM12/27/07

"Willielmus de Noers" <libe...@gmx.ch> wrote in message

>> Liquorish (sic) (G,D,&R)
>
> Licorice, eh?
>
> Anise?

Technically, green anise. Star anise is more common on cheaper brands, and
licorice root is actually used sparingly. Nevertheless, it tends to remind
American tasters strongly of black licorice.

-c

inez

Dec 27, 2007, 1:32:58 PM12/27/07

Oddly, I always hated black licorice, almost as much as I hate mint.
But, I love anise. Go figure:\

--
inez

gatt

Dec 27, 2007, 2:23:29 PM12/27/07

"inez" <nez...@or.fact> wrote in message news:fl0rcb$5gr$1...@aioe.org...

>> Technically, green anise. Star anise is more common on cheaper brands,
>> and licorice root is actually used sparingly. Nevertheless, it tends to
>> remind American tasters strongly of black licorice.
>

> Oddly, I always hated black licorice, almost as much as I hate mint. But,
> I love anise. Go figure:\

Same here.

True anise gets a bad rap because people will go cheap and use star anise,
which has a sharper, spicier taste and numbs the tongue. I think people
equate star anise with licorice, and green anise with star, which is how
they end up connected.

I don't like black licorice. I'll occasionally nibble on raw green anise
seeds. A tiny amount of mint--about the most expensive ingredient in
absinthe besides the alcohol, btw--goes a LONG way. It's used with lemon
balm, hyssop and petite wormwood (which is neither illegal nor bitter) to
color absinthe and also to round out the anise sharpness. As to why keep
star anise, licorice root, green anise etc will have to remain up to the
reader's imagination.

Absinthe may or may not stick around in the US; modern Americans have a
different taste palate than 19th century Europeans. According to multiple
experts, though, New Orleans was awash in "hausgemacht" absinthe production
before Katrina. All of the ingredients are legally-available in the US and
it's almost certainly on the comeback.

The new brand to watch for is called "Lucid." Ted Breaux's little secret is
that he was able to chemically analyze (at LSU, I believe) a pre-ban
top-shelf bottle and reproduce it. One he separated chemical reality from
90-year-old urban legend he realized that real absinthe could be legally
sold here and so what you get in the "American absinthe" is actually
historically authentic than the more expensive crap coming out of Europe
right now.

Another not-so-secret secret is that wormwood doesn't cause people to
hallucinate; the old high-end producers used calamus, however, which has
been considered psychoactive since long before there was a word
"psychoactive." The prohibitionist biddies and the FDA never figured that
out. (Nevertheless, absinthe isn't psychoactive.)

-c

bbb

Dec 27, 2007, 4:20:35 PM12/27/07
gatt wrote:
> "inez" <nez...@or.fact> wrote in message news:fl0rcb$5gr$1...@aioe.org...

snippy

> Another not-so-secret secret is that wormwood doesn't cause people to
> hallucinate; the old high-end producers used calamus, however, which has
> been considered psychoactive since long before there was a word
> "psychoactive." The prohibitionist biddies and the FDA never figured that
> out. (Nevertheless, absinthe isn't psychoactive.)

awwwww nuts to that then.

Message has been deleted

bbb

Dec 27, 2007, 7:18:22 PM12/27/07
Curtis wrote:
> If you put a bag of crawfish boil in a pint of vodka for a couple of
> days you get the same thing.

Do you still need the sugar cubes?

gatt

Dec 27, 2007, 7:19:57 PM12/27/07

"Curtis" <Cur...@bacd.fake> wrote in message

> If you put a bag of crawfish boil in a pint of vodka for a couple of
> days you get the same thing.

A waste of crawfish boil?!

-c

R. G.

Dec 28, 2007, 12:27:25 AM12/28/07
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:32:58 -0600, inez <nez...@or.fact> wrote:

>Oddly, I always hated black licorice, almost as much as I hate mint.
>But, I love anise. Go figure:\

I don't like any of 'em.

--

R. G.

JimL

Dec 28, 2007, 4:30:11 PM12/28/07
On Dec 27, 11:27 pm, R. G. <as...@whatever.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:32:58 -0600, inez <nezm...@or.fact> wrote:
> >Oddly, I always hated black licorice, almost as much as I hate mint.
> >But, I love anise. Go figure:\
>
> I don't like any of 'em.
>
> --
>
> R. G.

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE POLITICAL CANDIDATES NOW?

R. G.

Dec 29, 2007, 12:33:40 AM12/29/07
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:30:11 -0800 (PST), JimL <Jim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 27, 11:27 pm, R. G. <as...@whatever.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:32:58 -0600, inez <nezm...@or.fact> wrote:
>> >Oddly, I always hated black licorice, almost as much as I hate mint.
>> >But, I love anise. Go figure:\
>>
>> I don't like any of 'em.
>>

>> R. G.
>
>ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE POLITICAL CANDIDATES NOW?

All of the above.

--

R. G.

WindsorFox-{SS}-