Neo roadmap

Andrew Davison

Jul 7, 2016, 1:09:40 PM7/7/16
to Neural Ensemble
Hi everyone,

It is almost three years since Neo 0.3.0 was released, and 18 months since the last Neo bug-fix release.

Since then there has been a lot of activity in the Neo code base, in two major directions. Firstly, in the master branch, many people have contributed improvements to Neo IO classes, and also added a couple of new data formats to those supported by Neo. Secondly, in the apibreak branch a few people have been working on more fundamental changes to Neo with the aim of simplifying the object model and laying the foundations for future improvements such as a consistent implementation of selective loading and data streaming.

So today we have two announcements. First, all of the IO improvements in the master branch have been released as Neo 0.4.0. (https://neo.readthedocs.io/en/0.4.0/). Second, the apibreak branch has been merged into master, with the intention that this will form the basis of Neo 0.5.

If you have bug-fixes for 0.4.0, please make pull requests against the 0.4.x branch. If you would like to help us develop or test the future Neo 0.5, please check out the master branch. All of the IO improvements from 0.4 have been merged into the new master, but of course they have not been as well tested as in the 0.4 branch. The documentation for the new, simplified API is at http://neo.readthedocs.io/en/latest/; there is a checklist of what has changed at http://neo.readthedocs.io/en/latest/releases/0.5.0.html

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Davison

Sep 13, 2016, 7:27:11 AM9/13/16
to Neural Ensemble

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce the first alpha release of Neo 0.5.0.

As noted previously, for Neo 0.5, we have taken the opportunity to simplify the Neo object model. Although this will require an initial time investment for anyone who has written code with an earlier version of Neo, the benefits will be greater simplicity, both in your own code and within the Neo code base, which should allow us to move more quickly in fixing bugs, improving performance and adding new features. For details of what has changed and what has been added, see the Release notes.

If you are already using Neo for your data analysis, we encourage you to give the alpha release a try. The more feedback we get about the alpha release, the quicker we can find and fix bugs. If you do find a bug, please create a ticket. If you have questions, please post them here!

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew Davison

Mar 7, 2017, 4:30:00 PM3/7/17
to Neural Ensemble
Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce the first (and hopefully last) beta release of Neo 0.5.0.

The alpha release didn't turn up any major bugs, so I plan to release the final version of Neo 0.5.0 within a week or two, with concurrent point releases of Elephant and PyNN updated to use the new Neo API.

All the best,

Andrew