`IF_cond_exp` but with `tau_syn_NMDA` and `tau_syn_AMPA` instead of a single `tau_syn_E`

Daniel Bliss

Feb 17, 2015, 2:26:10 PM2/17/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What's the easiest way to get all the functionality of `IF_cond_exp`, but with separate time constants for NMDA and AMPA transmission?  Rather than specify a single `tau_syn_E`, I'd like to specify separate values for NMDA and AMPA current.

Thanks,
Dan

Andrew Davison

Feb 17, 2015, 2:40:34 PM2/17/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Currently there is no such model in the PyNN standard library. It should be fairly straightforward to add it though. Do I understand that both synaptic conductances should be "instantaneous rise, exponential decay", as for `IF_cond_exp`, just with separate time constants? Or should the NMDA model be more complex, e.g. finite rise time, magnesium block, etc.?

Cheers,

Andrew

Daniel Bliss

Feb 17, 2015, 2:53:09 PM2/17/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Right, the NMDA model is more complex due to its voltage dependence, as you say, but I wasn't sure whether that complexity should be defined when the synapses are defined, rather than at the level of the cell type.

Many thanks,
Dan

Daniel Bliss

Feb 18, 2015, 6:33:57 PM2/18/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
I've decided to write .mod files for my synaptic models.  The AMPA one was easy enough, but I'm struggling to implement my NMDA model in NMODL.  Here's the model:

s' = - 1 / tau_s * s + alpha_s * x * (1 - s)

x' = -1 / tau_x * x + sum_i(delta(t - t_i)),

where s is the fraction of open channels, x is an intermediate gating variable, t_i are the presynaptic spike times, tau_s = 100 ms (decay time), tau_x = 2 ms (rise time), and alpha_s = 0.5 kHz.

What's confusing me is how to get access inside the .mod file to whether there are any other coincident spikes.  NET_RECEIVE accomplishes this, I think, but I don't see how I can use NET_RECEIVE as a term in the equation for x', which is what is needed.

This isn't a PyNN issue, really, but I figured I'd share this to see whether anyone has any ideas.  My goal is to have the ultimate model be run using PyNN.

-- Dan

Daniel Bliss

Feb 18, 2015, 6:36:42 PM2/18/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Left out a crucial part of the model:

I_NMDA = g_NMDA * s * (V_m - V_E) / (1 + [Mg^2+] * exp(-0.062 * V_m) / 3.57),

where [Mg^2+] = 1.0 mM.

Brian Hu

Apr 29, 2015, 11:55:18 AM4/29/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Did you happen on a solution to this problem? I have also wanted to add NMDA channels to my PyNN models, but haven't been able to do so successfully. Best,

brian

Daniel Bliss

Apr 29, 2015, 12:43:29 PM4/29/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I ended up implementing one NMDA model for each synapse, so that I didn't have to have each model worry about spikes from other presynaptic neurons.  Having that many models caused a substantial memory load, however, so I split my NMDA model into presynaptic and postsynaptic parts.  This enables me to have one model per neuron rather than one per synapse.

Best,
Dan

Brian Hu

May 5, 2015, 9:51:39 AM5/5/15
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Sorry- I didn't see that you responded to my post. Would you be willing to share the code for your implementation? Thanks,

brian