Hi there!

Brendan Keating

Apr 26, 2013, 1:44:30 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks, I'm new to the group, and thought it be time to say Hello!

My name's Brendan (I think I'm the third or fourth) and I live up in Northgate, near Card Kingdom. I'm absolutely falling in love with the system, and I have a lot of fun playing on Sundays...

I had some thoughts on the group setup here on google groups... The interface here is kind of clunky and hard to use, and feels pretty unfamiliar. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to minimalize the work anyone put in to organizing this group, I'm just wondering if there's a better way. Forums would greatly facilitate discussion and organize topics, but it wouldn't have the same convenience as the discussions being delivered to your inbox.

Facebook (Yeah, I know it's a dirty word for some of you guys) would be super convenient, but not quite as organized as a forum system. It does have the added benefits of being able to link to locations of meets quickly and easily, as well as scheduling events like tournaments and provide reminders.

In addition, utilizing facebook may be the best way to reach out to players who don't know about the google groups, and expand our local player base. People wouldn't have to be approved to enter the group (it took me 3 days to be able to post)

Neither of these solutions would necessarily have to be to the exclusion of this google group, but they might add a lot of convenience to the Seattle Netrunners.

I apologize if this subject has been played out, but I really think migrating or using a second system could be a great help.

Marguerite

Apr 26, 2013, 1:48:01 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
i'd join in to a FB group, just throw some links here when it's ready!!

Riley Scott

Apr 26, 2013, 2:00:16 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com

created.

It's an open group. I would highly encourage TO's to spread the link to your appropriate facebook circles, as well as post event info here.

Also, Prune, are you the leader of this group?
Is it possible to enable posting by email?

Prunesquallor

Apr 26, 2013, 2:29:05 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
I'd be fine with Facebook, but there are enough people who have very strong anti-Facebook sentiments (mostly about their privacy policies), and are adamant about not using it, that it will cause some fracturing.  I think even with the best intentions and efforts to cross-post, there would be cases of events or get-togethers that get mentioned one place but not the other.

I'm all for an alternative, I'm not in love with Google, but I don't think Facebook is it.  I've used Yahoo! groups before and they were ok, about as good as Google, maybe a bit better.

Meetup.com would actually be really good I think, but there is a subscription fee for setting up a group, so we'd have to come up with some way to fund that.(it's $12 a month if you pay yearly).

I think the other alternative would be a forum board, if someone has a domain and willingness to admin, please speak up.  I can probably swing the domain but am not willing to sink the time into administrating.

Prunesquallor

Apr 26, 2013, 2:30:45 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com

Done, thanks for the suggestion!

Riley Scott

Apr 26, 2013, 2:35:44 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
Awesome.
I should have probably emailed this reply to see how it works.
We could just create a subreddit as well.

Actually, someone do that, seems wise. I think there's a plurality of users on /r/netrunner that are local anyways

Brendan Keating

Apr 26, 2013, 2:41:33 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com

Ill try it for you. Someone reply if this works.

I think cross platforming need not be painful. First, one need not belong exclusively to either. Second, all you need is someone who belongs to both to repost any events that get posted exclusively to one or the other.

I can do this for now. it may not have 100% effectiveness, but it will bring us closer.

I hesitate to use yahoo, as its population is probably the smallest of social media sites. Also, if we are concerned about facebook's privacy policy, we should probably not use the internet. ;) google has a lot of provisions I'm uncomfortable with, but its the price of using extremely powerful technology.

This convo is made all the more amusing by the nature of this group's game... seems appropriate for netrunner.

Riley Scott

Apr 26, 2013, 2:42:29 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
Your message appeared in thread in my inbox.

Success?

Brendan Keating

Apr 26, 2013, 2:43:41 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com

Yay! Success! Could someone else confirm reciept?

Brendan Davis

Apr 26, 2013, 2:49:13 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
I received it, and am replying via email as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Riley Scott

Apr 26, 2013, 2:51:16 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
Brendan Davis, you are not dead?

I owe Ian a dollar.

Brendan Davis

Apr 26, 2013, 2:55:02 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
Man, it's been a very long month but surprisingly I'm still alive. I'm planning on being at Card Kingdom this Sunday and catching up on the meta. Also expected a wordy response from me about your tournament post.

Sent from my iPhone

Eliot Hemingway

Apr 26, 2013, 10:06:12 PM4/26/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
You make a good point, and I'm not personally a huge fan of Facebook's interface regardless of their policies.  I've had some limited experience with community forums before, including several years of being an administrator and minor coder for such a site regarding a different card game, so I'm looking into the costs of hosting for a forum and events board for Seattle-region Netrunner.  If anyone else has input I'd love to hear it.  It seems very doable.

That said, I think it would be good to keep the Facebook group around even if we get a successful forum going; the Facebook connection is extremely easy to set up for anyone already on Facebook who's interested in the scene.

E.

Andrew Veen

Apr 27, 2013, 3:09:47 AM4/27/13
to netrunner-lcg...@googlegroups.com
oh my god reply by email is turned on have my babies

--
Andrew Veen
sms/voice 314.607.4621