Quick setup of NetflixOSS services and examples as AMIs

Adrian Cockcroft

May 6, 2013, 3:07:20 AM5/6/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
A missing link that we hoped to have a while ago is a base AMI. With that we could have AMInator jobs to build AMIs for each of the standalone services.

The holdup is that Netflix is stuck on an internal transition from an old version of CentOS to a new Ubuntu base AMI, and the new one isn't ready and we don't want to waste time working on the old one. We are also short of an Engineer in this group. Internal migration to Ubuntu is higher priority than the NetflixOSS base AMI for now.

If anyone has figured out how to fire up NetflixOSS services on various Linux versions (don't really care which) then I'd like to hear about them and see if we can build an AMI library for as many Linux variants as people find interesting, for services like Asgard, Edda, Eureka, etc.

Let me know
Cheers Adrian

ralph tice

May 7, 2013, 9:29:59 AM5/7/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
This is the minimal quickstart for Edda on an Amazon Linux AMI: https://gist.github.com/ralph-tice/4253069

Are you talking about an AMI of a base install, or an AMI to use as a base to execute some orchestration services against to bootstrap the services?

Adrian Cockcroft

May 7, 2013, 1:07:03 PM5/7/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ralph,

I'm talking about a set of pre-baked AMIs that Netflix could register as public AMIs for people to use directly from Asgard without having to do a build/install step.

This looks useful, thanks!
Cheers Adrian

Nicholas Whittier

May 28, 2013, 2:07:26 PM5/28/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
This is a great idea. I'm cross-posting these (they are in https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/asgardusers) in case others find this thread:

Ubuntu 12.04LTS with Asgard:

Amazon Linux 201303 with Asgard:
  http://imperialwicket.com/netflix-asgard-amazon-linux-201303-11101

I'm focusing on pre-built AMIs supporting the tools (using puppet), then I'm planning to circle back to aminator. Hopefully the first technique will reduce obstacles in bringing new users to these projects. The aminator process will be great from a dog-fooding perspective, but would appeal more readily to the users already committed to the platform (imo).

I'd love any feedback!

-- Nicholas

Peter Sankauskas

Aug 14, 2013, 11:11:14 AM8/14/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

I have public AMIs for Aminator, Asgard, Edda and Eureka available here:

I'll be adding more over the next month. You can use these directly from Asgard as long as you include public images. This project also includes all of the source to create those AMIs.

For Aminator, there is a CloudFormation script to do the tedious stuff for you (security group, IAM role with correct policy, ASG, etc). More details and instructions can be found on my blog post:

I hope this helps drive adoption of some of the NetflixOSS projects.

--
Kind regards,
Peter Sankauskas

Adrian Cockcroft

Aug 20, 2013, 6:04:47 PM8/20/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter, this is very helpful.

Cheers Adrian

Peter Sankauskas

Sep 20, 2013, 2:31:10 PM9/20/13
to netflix-oss...@googlegroups.com
Not to stop there, I have also added a playbook for Ice and the Simian Army, as well as an AMI for the Simian Army.

On the AWS Marketplace, you will also find Asgard and Edda:

As well as a screencast video of how to launch Asgard:

Enjoy!