Burt Reynolds Rumors

Sue Trowbridge

Feb 20, 1986, 1:36:52 PM2/20/86
Sorry if this is a repeat...I've only been reading net.rumor for a couple of
months.

Does anyone out there know whether or not Burt Reynolds is gay? A good friend
of mine, a journalist, told me this. One of his best friends, who is into the
gay scene, supposedly knows someone (male) who slept with Burt. Also, in a
recent "USA Today" interview with Sally Field, the reporter asked her whether
or not the rumor that Burt has AIDS is true. She said "probably not," but she
and Burt had not parted friends, so she had no way of knowing.

It's not like this is keeping me up nights or anything. I'm just curious. I
love tawdry celebrity gossip.

If this is true, what does that say about Sally Field and Dinah Shore?

--

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Sue Trowbridge

"Anger is an energy" - J. Lydon

bitnet: ins_...@jhunix.BITNET
arpa : ins_aset%jhunix...@wiscvm.WISC.EDU
uucp : ...{ihnp4!whuxcc | seismo!umcp-cs | allegra!hopkins} jhunix!ins_aset
OR ...decvax!decuac!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_aset

Andrew S. Gerber

Feb 21, 1986, 1:00:51 PM2/21/86
I've heard the same rumor (Burt being gay) before. Don't believe it
unless you have proof. If I believed every "he's gay" rumor I've ever
heard, then the following people are gay:

Ed Koch
Billy Idol
the guy who played Gomer Pyle (actually, I think he is),
Bruce Springsteen (now there's a far-fetched one)
and on, and on.

| Andrew S. Gerber MIT '87 Visible Language Workshop |
| ger...@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, ger...@mit-mc.lcs.mit.edu, ger...@athena.mit.edu |
| UUCP: decvax!mit-eddie!mit-amt!gerber decvax!mit-eddie!mit-athena!gerber |

Gene Ward Smith

Feb 24, 1986, 2:07:15 AM2/24/86
In article <9...@mit-amt.MIT.EDU> ger...@mit-amt.UUCP (Andrew S. Gerber,,,2256511) writes:

>I've heard the same rumor (Burt being gay) before. Don't believe it
>unless you have proof. If I believed every "he's gay" rumor I've ever
>heard, then the following people are gay:
>
>Ed Koch
>Billy Idol
>the guy who played Gomer Pyle (actually, I think he is),

That's Jim Neihbors (sp?). The rumor that he was married to Rock Hudson
was circulated years ago.

>Bruce Springsteen (now there's a far-fetched one)
>and on, and on.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!weyl!gsmith "Are you by any chance from South Africa?" - RR

Robert D. Zarcone

Feb 24, 1986, 12:58:03 PM2/24/86
In article <19...@jhunix.UUCP>, ins_...@jhunix.UUCP (Sue Trowbridge) writes:

> Does anyone out there know whether or not Burt Reynolds is gay? A good friend
> of mine, a journalist, told me this. One of his best friends, who is into the
> gay scene, supposedly knows someone (male) who slept with Burt. Also, in a
> recent "USA Today" interview with Sally Field, the reporter asked her whether
> or not the rumor that Burt has AIDS is true. She said "probably not," but she
> and Burt had not parted friends, so she had no way of knowing.
>
> Sue Trowbridge

Why do you ask? Are you interested in having sex with him? Before I get
blasted for asking such a personal question that is really none of my
business, please re-read the above.

Stephen Hutchison

Feb 24, 1986, 4:16:19 PM2/24/86
In article <9...@mit-amt.MIT.EDU> ger...@mit-amt.UUCP (Andrew S. Gerber) writes:
>I've heard the same rumor (Burt being gay) before. Don't believe it
>unless you have proof. If I believed every "he's gay" rumor I've ever
>heard, then the following people are gay:

The most likely source of this rumor is an appearance Burt made on Carson's
Tonight Show back in the late 60's/early 70's, just after he had made the
Cosmopolitan Magazine centerfold.

Johnny had asked Burt about how he felt being a sex symbol. He replied
that he had no idea why women though ot him as a sex symbol, because there
are so many really beautiful actors, like Paul Newman and Robert Redford,
who were beyond mortal beauty, and he could "turn gay" for one of them.
(nervous laughter from the audience)

I'm not sure if this is the same episode in which Burt came in wearing a
pair of leather pants a shiny black shirt, only to indulge with Johnny
in an egg-tossing competition where Johnny ended up putting an egg down
Burt's pands and breaking it.

THAT gets shown on the "20 years of carson" shows but Burt's remarks about
turning gay are somehow not reshown.

Hutch

Clayton Cramer

Feb 26, 1986, 6:49:21 PM2/26/86
> I've heard the same rumor (Burt being gay) before. Don't believe it
> unless you have proof. If I believed every "he's gay" rumor I've ever
> heard, then the following people are gay:
>
> Ed Koch
> Billy Idol
> the guy who played Gomer Pyle (actually, I think he is),

The guy who played Gomer Pyle is named Jim Nabors. And the first time
I heard the rumor about Jim Nabors was in the early 70s, when I was in
junior high school. The rumor came from a friend, whose father was told
it by a friend who knew someone in the FBI, who undercover agents at the
gay wedding... you seem why I paid no attention to the rumor. Of course
the rumor said that Nabors had gotten married to Rock Hudson! Makes
you wonder, doesn't it?

> Bruce Springsteen (now there's a far-fetched one)
> and on, and on.
>
> --
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Andrew S. Gerber MIT '87 Visible Language Workshop |
> | ger...@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, ger...@mit-mc.lcs.mit.edu, ger...@athena.mit.edu |
> | UUCP: decvax!mit-eddie!mit-amt!gerber decvax!mit-eddie!mit-athena!gerber |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Sue Trowbridge

Feb 27, 1986, 4:05:52 PM2/27/86

I think it's interesting that you deleted the part of my posting that read,

"It's not like this is keeping me up nights or anything. I'm just curious."

No, I am not interested in having sex with Burt Reynolds. I simply find it
intriguing, *and* very sad, that actors have to put up such a "front" for
their supposedly "loving" public, instead of being accepted for what they
are. This goes for everyone, actually, not just actors. Look at Rock
Hudson, who struggled to keep his real self a secret for 30-odd years.

Sure, I'd like to see the day when everybody can feel comfortable with their
sexuality, no matter what it is. Until then, no matter how an actor or
actress feels towards members of the same sex, they'll have to put on an
act of being real womanizers or...manizers? (I don't hesitate to invent
words to suit my purposes!)