Legitimate STAR WARS tapes

Jerry Boyajian

Jul 6, 1984, 3:15:33 AM7/6/84
The original posting appeared only in net.movies.sw. I took it upon myself to
post this reply to net.movies, net.video, and net.sf-lovers as well. If this
upsets any of you, c'est la vie.

From: !fluke!ron

> Before we shut down this newsgroup for a while, does
> anyone know anything about the *official*, *legal*
> release of TESB or even ROTJ?...

> ...there was a syndicated story in
> the local newspaper last winter to the effect that
> Lucasfilms (or Lucas?) has decided to *never*
> release TESB or ROTJ to the disk, video cassette,
> or cable markets.

> So does anyone have reliable information on what the
> status of these 2 films is?

For the record, I had also heard (many years ago) that Lucas did not want to let
the SW movies go to disk/tape/cable, and was upset with 20th Century Fox for
doing so with A NEW HOPE (They had distribution control over that film --- not
so with TESB and ROTJ).
HOWEVER, the other day, while returning rental tapes to a video store, I
noticed a sign listing THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as being available in October. I
asked the man at the counter if it'd be only available for rental or for both
rental and sale. He said both. I didn't bother to ask what disk formats it would
be available in, since I haven't a disk player, but I'd assume that it would be
at least on laserdisk. We'll see in October, I guess.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard, MA)

UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA: boyajian%akov6...@DECWRL.ARPA