LibOwin - a fork of MS.Owin's OwinContext and related types

Damian Hickey

Nov 11, 2014, 4:54:33 PM11/11/14
to net-http-a...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/damianh/LibOwin

As MS.Owin is now in "maintenance mode" and is unlikely to be updated with the upcoming spec changes, I've decided (with a wee blessing from dfowler) to fork it into this project. Like Owin.Types.Sources before it, this is a source only nuget package primarily for MW authors and people who want to work with owin using nice typed wrappers around the env in a dependency free manner. Installing this package to your project will a set of internal classes in your $rootNamespace.Owin (you can optionally make them public). None of the loader stuff is included.

David suggested that this should go under the Owin org group ; make it quasi-official (but totally optional of course). Anyone have any opinions for / against / meh?  I'm easy either way - I'll be using this for all my MW.

 - Damian

Sebastien Lambla

Nov 12, 2014, 12:40:23 AM11/12/14
to net-http-a...@googlegroups.com
no objections so far. Would be great to discuss how we present this to the world and provide some guidance on an owin site maybe?

—

Damian Hickey

Nov 12, 2014, 6:33:36 AM11/12/14
to net-http-a...@googlegroups.com
Cool.

My thoughts on presenting this would be basically along the lines of - "this is a helper and is purely optional". Would there need to be anything more than that?

Ryan Riley

Nov 17, 2014, 10:07:46 AM11/17/14
On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:33:36 AM UTC-6, Damian Hickey wrote:
Cool.

My thoughts on presenting this would be basically along the lines of - "this is a helper and is purely optional". Would there need to be anything more than that?

We probably want to indicate that this is a fork of the Microsoft.Owin stack for those interested in receiving continued support, maintained by the OSS community. That would provide context and a message of continuity. We probably should also provide a promise not to break the world. I'm sure some may be aware of our obsoleting IAppBuilder and wonder if we would do the same here. We can probably push some evolutions as we evolve OWIN, but we should make an effort not to drastically break anyone.

Other than that, I'm excited you picked this up, Damien. Thank you!