Wild Oakland Presents... Oakland geology and the Hayward fault!

Constance Taylor

Oct 27, 2014, 2:23:18 PM10/27/14
to nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com, nerdhe...@googlegroups.com

Come on a walk with guest speaker Andrew Alden and learn about the geology of Oakland!

We'll spend the afternoon walking along the Hayward fault, starting near the Oakland Zoo at Golf Links Road right off I-580. We'll meet at the intersection of Golf Links Road and Mountain Boulevard. You can park along Mountain Boulevard and Calafia Ave. Unfortunately there's no bus service to this area on weekends.

Our route will go down Golf Links, then up 82nd Ave and back across King Estates Open Space, where Andrew hopes to learn more about the habitat there from fellow walkers! If it rains before then, so much the better. Vertical gain will be about 250 feet in short stretches. We'll see signs of active faulting in the streets and the landscape, some nice views of the Bay, and the hills will bring out the larger structural setting of our geology. In all, the walk will be about 4 miles.

Bring a hat, sunscreen, drinking water, and snacks!

Andrew Alden is a writer, photographer, editor and blogger with a lifelong passion for rocks, minerals, fossils and the planets they come from.  Andrew spent six years with the U.S. Geological Survey, which included research excursions on land and sea. He has been a writer on geological subjects since 1981, host of the earthquakes conference on The WELL since 1992, and About.com’s Geology Expert since 1997. He began leading geological tours in 2005.

You can read more about him and his answers to hundreds of geology questions at http://geology.about.com, or check out his blog about Oakland’s geology at http://oaklandgeology.wordpress.com/

Event details can also be found at www.wildoakland.org

When: November 8, 2014 from 12:00-2:00 pm

Where: We'll meet at the intersection of Golf Links Road and Mountain Boulevard in Oakland. You can park along Mountain Boulevard and Calafia Ave.

Cost: FREE!

Please RSVP to in...@wildoakland.org