Speak up to save Knowland Park @ Oakland City Council Meeting! Tues, Nov 18

1 view

Constance Taylor

Nov 13, 2014, 7:35:51 PM11/13/14
to nerdhe...@googlegroups.com, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
A missive from Friends of Knowland Park:
THIS IS IT: Last chance to protect Knowland Park!
Please come to the Oakland City Council meeting on Tues 11/18 from 5:30 - 8 pm.
Where: Oakland City Hall, 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Council Chambers, 3rd Floor
Please RSVP here if you can attend: bit.ly/knowlandmeeting
Beautiful and wild Knowland Park is home to native wildlife that includes rare and threatened species, and it was deeded to the city of Oakland to remain a public park forever. The Oakland Zoo wants to take over the heart of it (77 acres of prime habitat on western ridge) for an exhibit of species that are now regionally extinct due to development, plus a restaurant, gift shop, offices, meeting rooms, and a gondola ride that will transport Zoo visitors uphill to the ridgetop development. This is not conservation. Once the chain-link perimeter fence goes up and the richest portion of Knowland Park is bulldozed, it’s gone forever.

Help us tell City Council they must not vote to give away our public parkland. The Zoo has room to build their project BELOW the ridge. We can still have a great Zoo and save Knowland Park.
Note: You can sign up for a 1-minute statement, or if you don’t want to speak, you can cede your time to other speakers.

Please join us in our final appeal to City Council. We need every single supporter to stand with us. Thank you!

Visit
www.saveknowland.org for more information.