Wild Oakland Presents... An Introduction to Tree Identification!

Constance Taylor

Jun 11, 2015, 2:18:43 AM6/11/15
to nerdhe...@googlegroups.com, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all! Come on out with Wild Oakland this Saturday for a rollicking nerdly time identifying some trees. Info below!

Where: Rotary Nature Center at Lake Merritt (600 Bellevue Ave, Oakland)
When: Saturday, June 13 from 12-2 pm
Cost: FREE! $5-10 suggested donation.
RSVP (not necessary, but helpful for a general headcount) to in...@wildoakland.org

Come out on Saturday, June 13th, and learn some tips and tricks for identifying mystery species! We will join biologists from the Wildlife Society's San Francisco Bay Area Chapter, co-led by Kristin Tremain,  Tammy Lim, and Ivan Parr. They will teach us some of the finer points of how to use a plant identification key and how to ID plants and animals in the field. The focus will be on local trees and shorebirds of Lake Merritt's north shore. Visit http://tws-west.org/sfbay/sample-page/officer-directory/ to learn more about the wildlife biology leaders.

We'll meet at the Rotary Nature Center before we stroll the north shore of Lake Merritt to use our plant keys to identify some trees- we'll be using the key found in “A Californian's Guide to the Trees Among Us” by Matt Ritter, which is an essential reference book for Californian city-dwellers. We'll also be keeping our eyes peeled for birds!

Bring binoculars and field guides to share if you have them. Please put your name on any field guides you bring! Don't forget sun protection, water, and snacks.

$5-10 suggested donation.

See you there!

Best,
Constance Taylor

www.wildoakland.org

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands."
- Douglas Adams