Wild Oakland Presents... Bird Natural History and Identification at Lake Merritt

Constance Taylor

Nov 30, 2014, 12:59:23 AM11/30/14
to nerdhe...@googlegroups.com, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
Wild Oakland Presents... Bird Natural History and Identification at Lake Merritt

Lake Merritt is for the birds! Learn how the nation's first wildlife refuge was created to protect birds, the history of the bird islands, and how the lake continues to offer a refuge for birds such as Hank, the injured White Pelican.The winter months bring flocks of migrating waterfowl to the waters of Lake Merritt- we'll see dozens of species that aren't here during the spring and summer. Cormorants, loons, grebes, ducks, and other birds migrate to Lake Merritt along the Pacific Flyway, from the interior United States, and Canada. We'll provide binoculars if you don't have a pair, but usually the birds are so close you don't even need them.

Birding for all levels! Come to bird for the first time, or sharpen your skills if you have some experience. Led by Marissa Ortega-Welch, Eco-Education Coordinator for Golden Gate Audubon Society.

When: Saturday Dec 13, 2014 from 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm

Where: Meet outside the Rotary Nature Center, 600 Bellevue Ave, Oakland CA 94610

Cost: FREE!

Please RSVP to in...@wildoakland.org

Visit our website: www.wildoakland.org