l3d-cube versus led aurocube

Dman777

Sep 2, 2018, 9:34:40 PM9/2/18
to neonixie-l
I am considering buying the l3d-cube or the  LED AuroCube . What I like about the LED AuroCube is that it has the 5mm leds and a remote. I like the effects better on the l3d-cube. I'm not concerned with LEDs going out and me replacing them. I have had the hypnocube for years and I don't use it enough to burn out the LEDs.

I had a few questions about the l3d-cube if anyone might know:
1) are the square led's on the l3d-cube smaller than the normal 5mm leds?
2) what happens if the wifi card goes out on the l3d cube, is there a sd card slot?

Dman777

Sep 5, 2018, 9:54:37 PM9/5/18
to neonixie-l
Bump....anyone might know?

Dylan Distasio

Sep 5, 2018, 10:13:46 PM9/5/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The LEDs are WS2812Bs (5x5mm sq).

The WiFi is part of the entire brains of the operation, a particle photon board.  You'd probably just want to swap the whole board if the wifi quit, but in theory you should still be able to upload something directly to it over usb from a PC if everything else was still working.

FYI, I don't have one of these but the specs are open source.  They actually look pretty cool.

Dman777

Sep 8, 2018, 6:10:35 PM9/8/18
to neonixie-l
Thank you for the info.

I was thinking... a typical led is 360 and gives light in 360 direction. I was studying the pic and it looks like these leds only give light front and back, but not sides. Is this true?