Four NL-8091 on ebay

Paul Andrews

Jun 7, 2017, 8:45:10 AM6/7/17
to neonixie-l
Time to take out a second mortgage folks: These on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112434355542

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Jun 7, 2017, 12:06:05 PM6/7/17
to neonixie-l
Beauties! But very expensive

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Jun 7, 2017, 5:01:43 PM6/7/17
to neonixie-l
Now he has 9pcs! I have bought other tubes from that seller and don't think its scam, but i wonder where he gets all that stuff ... Like he sold around 100pc of 6091 tubes

David Forbes

Jun 7, 2017, 5:04:43 PM6/7/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
He may have bought these tubes from Richardson in 2009 for $50 each, and held
onto them until he thought that he could recoup his invenstment.

--
David Forbes, Tucson, AZ

Paul Andrews

Jun 7, 2017, 5:36:49 PM6/7/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I would love to see a clock made of these. Anyone with deep pockets?

Here is one over at bad Nixie: http://www.badnixie.com/The_%22RackMountable%22_Nixie.html. As my wife would say 'Le sigh'.

Alic

Jun 8, 2017, 7:47:59 AM6/8/17
to neonixie-l
Don't hesitate to make an offer, since the option is available ;-)
I think the price is meant to be "up to".

Paul Andrews

Jun 8, 2017, 8:11:45 AM6/8/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Heh. I swear the 'Make an offer' button wasn't there when I first saw
this. But then there were only four up for sale then too.

Even at half price, these are too rich for my blood - bearing in mind
this is the price for a single tube!

My old man had a saying: 'Cheap at half the price!'. Well, not in this
case (for me, if you have the disposable income for these, or can see
an investment opportunity, go for it).

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 7:48 AM, Alic <al...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Don't hesitate to make an offer, since the option is available ;-)
> I think the price is meant to be "up to".

JohnK

Jun 8, 2017, 10:19:12 AM6/8/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have a clock using NL 8091.
It is a Systron Donner master display that could also drive a slave [or more?].

I posted details in th eold Yahoo group.
Googling this "  not-small nixies in Systron Donner model 8181 clock display   " will get some of it.
I looked at the old group photos and can't see mine.

However, a Google also finds this picture of one in not-so-good condition....     https://www.tubeclockdb.com/component/kunena/11-ebay-finds/2218-systron-donner-model-8181-big-nixie-clock-w-nl-809.html

It is too hard to photograph mine right now.
I suppose that I should have bought the slave display too  -  it was only $15 iirc.

John K
Australia.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/D5960A2E-EC4E-4757-A633-274791C452B0%40gmail.com.

JohnK

Jun 8, 2017, 10:50:12 AM6/8/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Well you said/he said "My old man had a saying: 'Cheap at half the price!'.
"
BUT I suspect that you mean he might have said Cheap at Twice the Price when
he meant a bargain. Dear at Half the Price is said too for when it ISN'T a
bargain..
I can remember when I was doing tech work at a radio station and the
Blurb-writer and Production team made an advert for a client where they did
say "Cheap at half the price" and were trying to be making the point how
cheap the product/service was. They actually needed to say the other version
to make their point. I got sworn at and told to stick to my own job. It went
to air. The sponsor cracked a fruity!
There is a similar pair of sayings on another topic but it escapes my memory
right now.

Maybe I should be selling my Systron Donner clock.

John K
Australia.

Jun 8, 2017, 11:01:02 AM6/8/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
No. He was being sarcastic. He used it to point out just how expensive something was.

I'll look up that systron dinner clock. Following these threads can get challenging on my phone!
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/A8C27544DF3048349C21E85E4E89449A%40compunet4f9da9.

Terry S

Jun 8, 2017, 11:02:03 AM6/8/17
to neonixie-l
Cracked a fruity?

I had to google that.

A friends little kids used to say that when they passed gas!

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Jun 8, 2017, 3:58:09 PM6/8/17
to neonixie-l
There is a new auction from US about 4 8091

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NL8091-lot-of-4-NOS-Jumbo-Nixie-Tubes-Same-as-Boroughs-B-8091-NL-8091-Nixie-/322547684051?hash=item4b195712d3:g:h9oAAOSwq~tZOXHb

Lets see for how much they will sell! Hopefully they will sell under 800$. Maybe the seller from france will be accept an offer around 150-200 :)

Paul Andrews

Jun 8, 2017, 4:10:50 PM6/8/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
You wait ages for a single NL-8091 and then 13 come at once!

jb-electronics

Jun 8, 2017, 4:35:46 PM6/8/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Personally I do not think that 8091 tubes are so rare, you just have to wait a bit. Cheers Jens

Nicholas Stock

JohnK

Jun 8, 2017, 11:25:14 PM6/8/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, funny how we 'all' speak 'English'...
We get such a giggle from references in US sitcoms etc.

fanny
noun: fanny
    1.    Britishvulgar slang -     a woman's genitals.
    2.    North Americaninformal -   a person's buttocks.

verb: Britishinformal
    1.    mess around and waste time.     "they were fannying about in the street"

and there are loads more.

John K
Australia.

Tidak Ada

Jun 9, 2017, 3:03:19 AM6/9/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Considering the non-original boxes and the bent pins, I guess they’re not NOS, but ordinary pulls L

eric

David Forbes

Jun 9, 2017, 12:49:44 PM6/9/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Those look like old Burroughs tubes, because of the domed face and the
ridge around the base. The National tubes in the previous auction have
flatter faces, and the base is narrower than the envelope.

Also, the boxes are newly made, and there is no date code visible on the
tubes, which is surprising.

Hard to say what's going on here. No metal deposits inside the tubes, so
probably not used much.
> --

David Forbes, Tucson AZ

Paul Andrews

Jun 9, 2017, 12:54:37 PM6/9/17
to neonixie-l
And it's already over $500 with 6 days to go. Guess my $30 bid didn't cut it!

chuck richards

Jun 9, 2017, 1:39:46 PM6/9/17
to pa...@nixies.us, neoni...@googlegroups.com
>That's just crazy. For that kind of money I would simply
purchase some of Dalibor's tubes!

Chuck
>>--
>>To view this discussion on the web, visit
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/58238ea3-9019-407b-91fb-
>aaff80d4ee56%40googlegroups.com.

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!

Alic

Jun 9, 2017, 1:46:14 PM6/9/17
to neonixie-l
But what if you already have Dalibor's tubes?

chuck richards

Jun 9, 2017, 1:51:33 PM6/9/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Rimshot!

>To view this discussion on the web, visit
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/e0c2441d-01e0-4483-bdd1-
>06b7b692a31b%40googlegroups.com.

Paul Andrews

Jun 9, 2017, 1:52:31 PM6/9/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Ask Dalibor to make some top-view tubes?

> On Jun 9, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Alic <al...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> But what if you already have Dalibor's tubes?

Dekatron42

Jun 11, 2017, 7:33:35 AM6/11/17
to neonixie-l
Looking closely at the photos with the digits in auction 112434355542 it looks like there is a lot of corrosion on the metal digits, there are a lot of white and grey areas - does anyone know what it is and how it affects expected lifetime of these Nixies?

In the other auction 322547684051 with the four 8091's in white boxes I can see 7406 stamped on the side of one of the tubes and that is probably the date code.

/Martin

Nick

Jun 15, 2017, 1:01:35 PM6/15/17
to neonixie-l
$210 each. Nice tubes, but quite mad pricing.

I had those in my stock spreadsheet at $80 each. Time for a very pleasant update...

Nick

Robert L

Jun 15, 2017, 6:09:59 PM6/15/17
to neonixie-l
I keep thinking of tulips...

Nicholas Stock

Jun 15, 2017, 6:44:01 PM6/15/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
OK, I'll bite.....tulips? I'm missing the reference here somewhere......;)

$210 dollars each is crazy, but hey ho.

Anyone on the list?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Robert L <boble...@gmail.com> wrote:
I keep thinking of tulips...

Paul Andrews

Jun 15, 2017, 6:55:04 PM6/15/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a reference to the Dutch tulip bubble of 16 something. And no I'm not joking.

However the bubble in Z568 seems to have burst, judging by what I read a few years ago. Now we just need Dalibor to have the same effect on top view tubes.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.

Nicholas Stock

Robert L

Jun 15, 2017, 7:14:56 PM6/15/17
to neonixie-l
Tulip mania or tulipomania... Check out Wikipedia.

Just woke up thinking of this and watched the last minute or two of the auction.

Nicholas Stock

Jun 15, 2017, 7:33:25 PM6/15/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
You learn something new every day! BTW, if you don't have wikiwand installed on your browser (it's free) then I heartedly recommend it...makes wikipedia such a better experience...

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Robert L <boble...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tulip mania or tulipomania... Check out Wikipedia.

Just woke up thinking of this and watched the last minute or two of the auction.

Paul Andrews

Jun 15, 2017, 7:33:59 PM6/15/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I see high asking prices, but not much in the way of sales now.

Nicholas Stock

Jun 15, 2017, 7:45:15 PM6/15/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That was transient, but you make a valid point...has settled at the 200 dollar mark for some time now as far as I can tell. Still too much for my blood considering Dalibor's offering. I remember when Jan was selling them for 50 dollars a piece.....

Tomasz Kowalczyk

MichaelB

Jun 18, 2017, 6:00:17 PM6/18/17
to neonixie-l
Way too much for these tubes and, dollars to donuts, they are NOT NOS. Near the end of their big Nixie selling days not that long ago, one could have them stamp tubes with those blue NOS looking markings and would provide original looking boxes. Buyer beware!