Sale IN-18

Yuriy Ovchinnikov

Oct 19, 2015, 4:58:20 PM10/19/15
to neonixie-l
Sale:
IN-18 - 23 pcs. for $40 each,
sockets for IN-18 - 50 pcs. for $2.5 each.

Jon D.

Oct 19, 2015, 5:31:54 PM10/19/15
to neonixie-l
Whoa, $40 each...on sale ???...way too pricey for me.

Mich...@aol.com

Oct 19, 2015, 7:18:17 PM10/19/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
eBay prices.  :)

Michail Wilson
206-920-6312

gregebert

Oct 19, 2015, 7:34:59 PM10/19/15
to neonixie-l
Make sure you research the date-codes; I've seen others in this group mention IN-18 tubes from late 1970's and early 1980's are not as reliable.

Greg P

Oct 19, 2015, 7:43:20 PM10/19/15
to neonixie-l
There seems to be a never ending supply of these tubes.  Is it possible, there were tens of thousands of these in surplus?

Make me wonder if they're still being produced somewhere in the old Soviet Union.

Terry Kennedy

Oct 20, 2015, 12:04:48 AM10/20/15
to neonixie-l
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 7:43:20 PM UTC-4, Greg P wrote:
There seems to be a never ending supply of these tubes.  Is it possible, there were tens of thousands of these in surplus?

Make me wonder if they're still being produced somewhere in the old Soviet Union.

Unlikely. There was an eBay listing some years ago for some of the tooling and parts for IN-18s.

However, at least at the time there was a huge quantity of them with a lot of them apparently stored in a flooded basement as the cardboard boxes were rather damaged. As the price went up, demand apparently went down, so I suspect some sellers are sitting on massive inventory.

Greg P

Oct 20, 2015, 9:00:20 AM10/20/15
to neonixie-l
I'd say so, Terry.  I know Jeff Thomas (RIP) had purchased upwards of 8,000 if not more of them when he was selling his IN-18 based NixiChron back in the 2005 time frame.  Subsequently, many more IN-18 based clocks have been sold since and continue to sell.

What puzzles me is; if they're not being manufactured anymore, how many were truly in surplus?   Had to be tens of thousands as the supply never seems to dry up.

I'm sure we'll never know, but just speculating.

Terry Kennedy

Oct 21, 2015, 1:41:43 AM10/21/15
to neonixie-l

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:00:20 AM UTC-4, Greg P wrote:
I'd say so, Terry.  I know Jeff Thomas (RIP) had purchased upwards of 8,000 if not more of them when he was selling his IN-18 based NixiChron back in the 2005 time frame.  Subsequently, many more IN-18 based clocks have been sold since and continue to sell.

Yup. I remember a picture of him with stacks and stacks of IN-18 cartons.

What puzzles me is; if they're not being manufactured anymore, how many were truly in surplus?   Had to be tens of thousands as the supply never seems to dry up.

Trying to comprehend how the Soviet production system worked is probably impossible for westerners. I can certainly imagine that it was simply a case of nobody telling the factory to stop producing them, and thousands and thousands piling up and overflowing wherever the factory could find a place to store them.

There are some displays that seem to be actually rare - I went looking for IV-26 Type 2 and couldn't find any (other than single-digit quantities) and neither could the sellers I contacted. By comparison, I had quotes for Type 1 from multiple sellers listing quantity prices at the 1,000 and 5,000 levels. And the IV-26 is an odd display - they were made by Orzep for the sole purpose of being put into clocks made by Reflektor, despite the latter being a major producer of display tubes.

There are some oddities like the UDT-3. Every one I've seen has been an intentional dud with an internal shorting bar.

And then there are the really rare parts, like this: https://www.tmk.com/transient/6F5S8587-s.jpg

marta_kson

Oct 21, 2015, 5:37:37 PM10/21/15
to neonixie-l
"There are some oddities like the UDT-3. Every one I've seen has been an intentional dud with an internal shorting bar."

Seems very strange to me. I think it's much more likely the metal bar is a mistakenly left over detail as the result of a produktion error. It holds the pixels in a perfekt row during assembly and when they has been locked in positon it's intended to be broken off at the very tiny points that connects it to the pixels. Then the bad batch has hit the market instead of the shredder...

Yuriy Ovchinnikov

Nov 18, 2015, 2:49:32 PM11/18/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Do you need Z573M and Z574M?

"There are some oddities like the UDT-3. Every one I've seen has been an intentional dud with an internal shorting bar."

Seems very strange to me. I think it's much more likely the metal bar is a mistakenly left over detail as the result of a produktion error. It holds the pixels in a perfekt row during assembly and when they has been locked in positon it's intended to be broken off at the very tiny points that connects it to the pixels. Then the bad batch has hit the market instead of the shredder...

Dekatron42

Nov 18, 2015, 3:21:39 PM11/18/15
to neonixie-l
Three thoughts:

1. Is it possible to blow these small connections in after production with a high current pulse?

2. Many Russian displays where used as backgrounds for a text stencil, could this be the case for these?

3. Were they meant to be used in a larger composite display side by side and therefore made as one single dot?

/Martin

Terry Kennedy

Nov 19, 2015, 4:28:29 AM11/19/15
to neonixie-l
On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 3:21:39 PM UTC-5, Dekatron42 wrote:
Three thoughts:

1. Is it possible to blow these small connections in after production with a high current pulse?

Unlikely. The 4 points that connect each row to the shorting bar have a larger area than the external pin that is actually intended to select the row. Plus, if you managed to blow them all, you'd have a large metal bar loose inside the envelope. Take a look at the pictures here: http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/articleview.php?item=1030

Jonathan F.

Jan 12, 2016, 7:42:06 AM1/12/16
to neonixie-l
I believe its like with a lot of russian/soviet products, they were produced in factories all day, just to keep all people the job (planed economy). Like  IN-12, there are so many those available, they are sold in quantities of 100 for about 100$ on ebay.

And i believe many of the Auctions that include 10+ IN18 Pieces are sold to sell them later again, instead of use.

I've seen a pic on ebay last week, dated 2005, selling IN-18. I bet that guy bought them for like 10-20$ per piece and now sell them for the double.

Dennis McDonald

Jan 16, 2016, 10:37:21 AM1/16/16
to neonixie-l
Hello! If these are still available, I would be interested. Thank you!

Dennis McDonald

Jan 16, 2016, 10:37:29 AM1/16/16
to neonixie-l

Yuriy Ovchinnikov

Jan 17, 2016, 2:49:40 AM1/17/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, all IN-18 are sold.

Hello! If these are still available, I would be interested. Thank you!