Playing with E1T-tubes & restoring them

已查看 173 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Per Jensen

未读,
2016年8月3日 08:11:062016/8/3
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi list.

Some time ago i picked up some nice equipment while emptying an estate of an ex-engineer of a large danish medical company.

Amongst the equipment i got some kind of prototype with Philips E1T-tubes in it. They sit in a Philips 88929/02 "Decade Counting Unit” which i cannot find any information on.

The unit housed 5 of these, and unfortunately one of them is smashed :(

The decals on the tubes is destroyed by moisture (this sat in a shed for god know how many years)

Anyone with information regarding these 88929/02-modules or the restoration of the decals? I’m planning to test the tubes, and if good, clean off the old decals and see if i can remake them.

// Per.

Tidak Ada

未读,
2016年8月3日 08:29:512016/8/3
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

·         This page will definitely be helpful:  [ http://dos4ever.com/E1T/E1T.html ]

·         An one digit clock : [  http://dos4ever.com/E1T_clock/E1T.html  ]

·         This is the home page:  [ http://dos4ever.com/ ]

eric

Dekatron42

未读,
2016年8月3日 09:45:092016/8/3
收件人 neonixie-l
Those modules are probably just using the standard design for the E1T which you can find in any E1T datasheet. I have seen a lot of those modules and they have all been standard designs - there are a however a very few 100 kHz and 1 MHz designs that use a few more vacuum diodes and also one or more triodes to reach the higher speed (the standard module is capable of some 30 kHz). Some of the designs use a small trim potentiometer to adjust the cathode current to adjust each module for maximum counting speeds but I don't think that your modules uses one.

Be careful when pulling the E1T from the sockets as the sockets are sometimes very brittle and easily break, moisture and old age makes them brittle.

Phywe, Leybold, Neva and Frieseke Hoepfner used them in Geiger counters and ordinary counters - one module can be seen here: http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren-Geschichtliches/Nixie/E1T.htm which I believe is identical to yours.

You can buy decals, like the ones used on model planes, which you can use in inkjet printers and then just wet them and transfer them to the tubes and the put an extra layer of lacquer on top to seal them - I haven't used those decals in many years now so I am not sure where to buy them right now, but model hobbyist shops might know.

/Martin

gregebert

未读,
2016年8月3日 11:56:232016/8/3
收件人 neonixie-l
Nice find. There's a pair of E1T tubes on Ebay, in case you decide to replace the broken tube.

The display appears to be split into 2 sections (2-digit and 3-digit). I suppose you could make a clock with 4 functioning tubes (Hours on the left, minutes on the right). Might be interesting to have the rightmost digit indicate tenths of a minute if you replace the broken tube.

Of course, you may just want to keep the tubes and make your own clock + case from scratch. The advantage of doing that is you can shrink the size using modern components so your attention is focused on the tubes. As it is now, the front panel is quite large, and to read the tubes you have to focus closely. In contrast, conventional clocks only require a quick glance to read.

Years ago I scrapped a Berkeley Instruments universal counter; it's construction is somewhat similar because it too had plug-in modules for displaying 0-9, except that individual neon bulbs were used.

Roddy Scott

未读,
2016年8月3日 15:35:492016/8/3
收件人 neonixie-l
Here is a nice clock in the Steampunk style from a link on Paul Parry's DIY page.

Tidak Ada

未读,
2016年8月3日 17:22:522016/8/3
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com

In this context, it might be interesting also to look at two related tubes: The E8T and E80T.

Both are binary tubes, with a functional principle that lies at the base of the E1T. Namely deflection of an electron beam.

eric

Dave Brown

未读,
2016年8月3日 17:24:522016/8/3
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the process of scanning information on just that module- not that
there's more than a couple of pages- plus data on a few more similar
products in the same module format. Give me a day or two to finish the job
and tidy up and it will be available.
Re the E1T labels- dont whatever you do let them get wet- they will just
slide off-I'm speaking from bitter experience on this.
Dave B, NZ
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1719zw6szvj53qb/AACB5bIHK5mCRUK5tWMgdRRza?dl=0>

// Per.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/072F736B-CFB5-4523-8A38-4850A50CC253%40gmail.com.

Nick

未读,
2016年8月3日 23:18:142016/8/3
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the loss of the labels, it's a problem we also have restoring vintage radios.

What I use is laser printer water transfer decal paper, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006EITEIQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 .

Make sure you get the LASER not the inkjet version.

You make up your design (the E1T decals in this case) using your favourite graphics package, then print them before floating the label off and onto the valve/capacitor can/radio dial/whatever...

HTH

Nick

Dave Brown

未读,
2016年8月8日 01:41:012016/8/8
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com
Scanning all done. Its actually two separate documents, one on the
applications of the E1T etc and another with details of several of the
modules. Not sure if the latter is complete but all the main modules are
included.
I have put them here meantime -
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tractorb/philips%20counting%20modules/
but feel free to upload them anywhere perhaps more appropriate.
We dont seem to have a files section on this group?
DaveB, NZ
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/A8B2A35F6F1146568BAC976F3496E480%40athlon3200.

Dekatron42

未读,
2016年8月8日 04:40:122016/8/8
收件人 neonixie-l
Thank you so much for those documents DaveB!

You can always ask Frank Philipse if he wants to host them, send him an email and ask: http://www.tubedata.info/fpm.html

/Martin

Per Jensen

未读,
2016年8月8日 05:58:282016/8/8
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Very much appreciated :D

// Per.

Nick

未读,
2016年8月8日 11:12:462016/8/8
收件人 neonixie-l
On Monday, 8 August 2016 06:41:01 UTC+1, Dave Brown wrote:
We dont seem to have a files section on this group?

We should have - I keep intending to do it - considered Google docs etc but there doesn't seem to be a way to automatically allow all members of a Google Group to have controlled access.

I'd really welcome members' input on this :)

Cheers

Nick

Nicholas Stock

未读,
2016年8月8日 11:25:512016/8/8
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com
Nick, have you considered a Dropbox for the files instead?

(the other) Nick.

Nick

未读,
2016年8月8日 11:31:232016/8/8
收件人 neonixie-l
On Monday, 8 August 2016 16:25:51 UTC+1, Pramanicin wrote:
Nick, have you considered a Dropbox for the files instead?

(the other) Nick.

Just beat you to this :)

Started a new thread for the topic, with Dropbox as an option...

Cheers

Nick (the real one!)

Keith Moore

未读,
2016年8月8日 13:47:102016/8/8
收件人 neonixie-l
This is fantastic and very helpful, David. THANK YOU!
- Keith

Martin Mehlhose

未读,
2016年8月8日 15:38:032016/8/8
收件人 neonixie-l
hello all,

my restoration of a FER

my restoration of a PT1310 short time Counter

greetings from Germany
Martin

Keith Moore

未读,
2016年8月8日 16:10:452016/8/8
收件人 neonixie-l
WOW!  :-p :-p :-p

Martin Mehlhose

未读,
2016年8月9日 15:34:102016/8/9
收件人 neonixie-l

Playing with E1T-tubes & restoring them  :)

this was the "restoring them" ..
Today an apparatus like that may not be very useful, but it`s a part of history and a higlight of old Engineering.
PT1310 is perfect to Register the exactly time you Need to get a glass of beer, drink it empty and put it back on the (Switch-) table. So it may have a lot of work at the next Meetings of vintage Radio Forums where I go sometimes to install a very glowing test laboratory.

For the FER I have actually no closed idea of use, it is stand allone only a fast Counter.
The beer-timer istallation will be more laboratory like, there is to use a time mark Generator (Tek181 will do the Job) to deliver the clock to the Switch table and there is to connect the FER..
So there will glow 20 + 11 tubes, a very glowing Installation for a simply beer timer :D

But very funny to see them both working, E1T are so busy when they get a good Signal Level.

greetings
Martin
回复全部
回复作者