Validate a Nixie touching a CRT display

Paolo Cravero

Jul 25, 2015, 3:15:23 AM7/25/15
to neonixie-l
Hello.
I read the tip mentioned in the subject in the F9020 discussion.

I own a handful of B5092/5094 and use daily a CRT TV (Samsung Plano 21" if that matters). Three of my Burroughs' work at 170 V, one at 200 V and one is apparently dead (I didn't test it beyond 200 V). But touching the CRT glass (with TV on ;-) ) did not result in any appreciable glow.

Here is what I've done: TV ON, hold with one hand the Nixie against the front CRT glas in all directions. Daylight in the room.

I might be missing something, so here I enquire the group's knowledge for further information about this "procedure".

Thanks,
Paolo

Dalibor

Jul 25, 2015, 3:37:16 PM7/25/15
to neonixie-l, paolo....@gmail.com
Hello!

I mentioned this trick, however I do this with a plasma globe only, not a CRT display. I read about using CRT for this trick somewhere else, but havent personally tried it yet. Plasma globe is a high frequency AC current while CRT tube works with different source of current. I will try it with my scope display tomorrow..

Dalibor

Jeff Walton

Jul 25, 2015, 6:34:57 PM7/25/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The old Radio Shack plasma globe is my favorite standby for a quick gas check of any nixie tube.  It always works.

Jeff Walton

Sent from the Samsung GALAXY S4

threeneurons

Jul 27, 2015, 12:37:44 PM7/27/15
to neonixie-l, paolo....@gmail.com
A plasma globe works much better. I've never tried a CRT, and all my current TVs and monitors are LCD. A few months ago, I wanted to check a tube at a friend's house, but his plasma ball was broken. I decided to make my own:

That's an old Raytheon BH rectifier, that makes my ball. The tube near it, is 6802 dekatron, which works quite well, but has a cracked bakelite base.