Another nixie watch comes to life

gregebert

May 28, 2015, 1:26:00 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

After 2 years of work, I finally finished my first (and only) "nixie" watch....... OK, so it's panaplex watch....whatever.
I still dont know how long the battery life is. When I did accelerated battery-life testing on my demo board a few months ago, it  extrapolated to about 2.5 months. So far, it's gone a bit longer than that on a full-charge and there's still a nice charge on it.

The sad story about this watch is that after I sealed the case (yep, permanently...), then the charging terminal for the battery developed a broken connection. Murphy's Law....So I must either destroy the handmade plexiglass case, which took many hours to build, or drill some tiny holes into it so I can pin-probe the battery terminals to charge it.

It's a ridiculous thing to wear because of the size and weight; I'll see what the other engineers at work say about it tomorrow. They think I'm a tad kooky to design a watch with a 40+ year-old display when my day-job is designing 10nm ICs.

Heh-heh....notice I didn't show how tall the watch is in the photo....it aint no iWatch. Probably 1 inch tall.

I just finished it in a nick of time, too. My wife and I saw "Tomorrowland" last weekend and she was awed by Goerge Clooney's IN-18 nixie clock and gave me an assignment to build one for her. Definitely the best task on my honey-do list......will it really be 12 tubes, or only 6. Still pondering that.

David Forbes

May 28, 2015, 2:16:58 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment.

I hope you can get the charging thing to work. I once considered potting
my Nixie watches, but thought better of it for that reason.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ

jb-electronics

May 28, 2015, 3:11:24 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That looks really nice! Do you have some more pictures?

Cheers
Jens

Am 28.05.2015 um 07:26 schrieb gregebert:

[IMGAGE]

Nick

May 28, 2015, 4:11:33 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, greg...@hotmail.com
Really really nice - always liked Panaplex-style displays - its juts a shame that no really little ones were made (but we know someone who could probably make or is already planning one!).

Nick

NeonJohn

May 28, 2015, 7:35:11 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On 05/28/2015 01:26 AM, gregebert wrote:

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9IM-biyOxos/VWajNb6RkuI/AAAAAAAAAB4/vrZTqsArFzQ/s1600/DSCN5264.JPG>
> After 2 years of work, I finally finished my first (and only) "nixie"
> watch....... OK, so it's panaplex watch....whatever.

Love it! This may be heresy but I think the Panaplex looks much better
in a watch than Nixies.

I like the "People Like Neon" in the background. I'd love to get a high
res version of that so I can print a banner for my neon shop - until I
get time to do the real thing.

> The sad story about this watch is that *after* I sealed the case (yep,
> permanently...), then the charging terminal for the battery developed a
> broken connection. Murphy's Law....So I must either destroy the handmade
> plexiglass case, which took many hours to build, or drill some tiny holes
> into it so I can pin-probe the battery terminals to charge it.

What? No inductive charging? :-) Best of luck on that.

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN

Nick

May 28, 2015, 7:43:02 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, j...@neon-john.com
On Thursday, 28 May 2015 12:35:11 UTC+1, NeonJohn wrote:
On 05/28/2015 01:26 AM, gregebert wrote:

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9IM-biyOxos/VWajNb6RkuI/AAAAAAAAAB4/vrZTqsArFzQ/s1600/DSCN5264.JPG>
> After 2 years of work, I finally finished my first (and only) "nixie"
> watch....... OK, so it's panaplex watch....whatever.

Love it!  This may be heresy but I think the Panaplex looks much better
in a watch than Nixies.

I like the "People Like Neon" in the background.  I'd love to get a high
res version of that so I can print a banner for my neon shop - until I
get time to do the real thing.

Click on the link on the group homepage - http://photosbydavid.co.uk/project/people-like-neon-peter-saville/ - its a commercial piece of artwork so please respect that. The guy that made it (Richard Wheater) gave me permission to use it as the banner for the group so long as I left the credit line there...

Nick

robin bussell

May 28, 2015, 7:47:30 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That's excellent! Definately an antidote to the iWatch :)
Does it have a user interface? How do you activate the display?
cheers,
Robin.

On 28/05/2015 06:26, gregebert wrote:
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9IM-biyOxos/VWajNb6RkuI/AAAAAAAAAB4/vrZTqsArFzQ/s1600/DSCN5264.JPG>

Dylan Distasio

May 28, 2015, 8:29:27 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Wow, very nice work.  I love it with the panaplex display.

David Forbes

May 28, 2015, 10:56:24 AM5/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Any forum thread that ties in to Joy Division is a good forum thread.
That pulsar album cover connects my radio astronomy gig to Joy Division
also. Peter Saville really knows how to do art.