Scope clock recommendations

Bill van Dijk

Sep 14, 2018, 10:07:32 AM9/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I was lucky enough to pick up a complete, unbuilt, 5MHz Heathkit oscilloscope kit at a local ham flea market last weekend. It has no value as a test instrument anymore, so it begs to become a scope clock. Does someone have a recommendation for a conversion kit? Ideally I would be able to build the kit inside the scope enclosure, possibly by omitting boards that are not essential to the clock? These kits are fairly “roomy” inside.

Any recommendations and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Nicholas Stock

Sep 14, 2018, 10:38:26 AM9/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Built many of them....still need to make some cases....I am a little biased though...;-)

(Pharma) Nick

Bill van Dijk

Sep 14, 2018, 12:32:08 PM9/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nick,

Nice kit. This is a complete kit though, not a conversion. I would like to use as much as the original hardware as possible, at least the HV, and X-Y amplifiers.

Thanks, Bill

H. Carl Ott

Sep 14, 2018, 12:58:13 PM9/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Could wait for a Dutchtronix.

http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm

I have a kit on the shelf, but never got around to assembling it, so can't directly recommend it.

carl
Henry Carl Ott   N2RVQ    hcar...@gmail.com

Bill van Dijk

Sep 14, 2018, 1:29:45 PM9/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not sure if this one would work though, in the web site it mentions the kit does not work well with low end (digital) scopes. Mine is not digital, but surely low end. Perhaps I’ll PM the author.

Thanks again, Bill

H. Carl Ott

Sep 14, 2018, 1:48:54 PM9/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I think you would be ok with an analog scope. Slow DSOs can have problems with analog signals like this.

 He does not mentions any minimum bandwidth requirements, but the DACs he uses are not that fast.

Just to sidetrack the conversation a bit.
There is a fascinating thread over on eevblog about a scope clock build,
Really nifty and compact implementation. A link for the interested:

carl
Henry Carl Ott   N2RVQ    hcar...@gmail.com

theoldphart2

Sep 14, 2018, 2:13:15 PM9/14/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
You're probably correct on that, I read further down that any analog scope would do. Since it is currently not available I will keep it on my short list.

Thanks again, Bill

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab® S

Oscilloclock

Sep 16, 2018, 4:48:22 AM9/16/18
to neonixie-l
Nice to find an unbuilt kit like that!

A Dutchtronix or similar can probably tie into the existing XY amplifiers just fine, but if the scope board you choose requires blanking, you may have an issue. Even if there is a Z-axis input, it is most likely capacitively-coupled because the cathode/grid is at a high negative potential.

In my Kikusui 537 build, where I re-used the existing deflection amps and HV circuitry, I embedded an isolated blanking amplifier (actually just a partially-populated version of my standard power board). This worked a treat, but it means I had to install two boards in the unit, plus a supply board. All up, it would have been easier to bypass everything and drive the CRT directly. The image quality also leaves something to be desired. But the advantage is that I can fiddle with the front panel controls, as they all do something!

- Aaron

Jan Wuesten

Sep 18, 2018, 7:04:40 AM9/18/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

if you need a scopeclock try our' s:

Modular offer, kit, tubes, plenty of different ones to chose, accessories, case etc :-)

Wish you a nice day

jan