tubes/valves and Global Shipping

JohnK

Jun 22, 2017, 10:50:55 AM6/22/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
There have been a few stories told on a few Groups about ebay Global Shipping.

Saw this just now at TCA....

First Post.....
Am I missing something here?

Reply.....

".. You are very quick on the trigger today, lol. That was a test listing that eBay had me create. It was only up for a few minutes so that they could check the “global shipping program” restricted countries for different categories. I’m playing around with the eBay categories and discovered that Global Shipping has restricted shipping all vacuum tubes / all items in two eBay categories. Category “Consumer Electronics > Vintage Electronics > Vintage Audio & Video > Vintage Parts & Accessories > Vintage Tubes & Tube Sockets” is restricted in most every country. If you have your tubes in this eBay category your “out of luck” getting it shipped worldwide. Also, category “Collectibles > Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone > Radios > Parts & Tubes” has the same restricted countries. The eBay Global Shipping program has basically declared war on vacuum tubes and will not ship them.  The tube that was listed with that crazy price is actually listed here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mullard-ECC33-NOS-Valvo-Amperex-1958-D-Getter-6SN7-GT-Vacuum-Tube-Valve-MDGGZ-/232241543090?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

So, glad I could find out a little more about all the tubes getting retained at the eBay Global Shipping HQ and also to give you guys something to laugh about.

I’m surprised you saw that listing so quickly. It was up for a few minutes and then immediately taken down. I did the high price so as to make sure not to forget which listing was the test listing.

Take care.  Rodney at VTubeAudio  "

John K

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Jun 22, 2017, 3:25:56 PM6/22/17
to neonixie-l
Pro-Tip #777  - pick a different category like "electronics"

People who will search for it, will find it there.

Usually Ebay is weird like all times, either its about mercury or other chemicals in tubes that are restricted to ship, and since the package will be shipped by ebay itself, they are responsible for it. Same thing goes for radioactive contents (radar tubes). Another thing is the "export" restriction of military items, for example a "kn-6 trigger tube" is not allowed to export.

If you are not from US - you can still use the US-Site, look for nice items, and ask the seller if he sends it to you on "normal" way. Worked a few times for me.

They are not really checking whats in the packgae :) I once bought a piece of uranium ore, very active, detectable through the package, but since the seller labeled it as "piece of rock", it was un noticed.

JohnK

Jun 22, 2017, 10:37:23 PM6/22/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
err, I think the point is NOT TO use the Global Shipping by selecting another category, because they DO open [some/all] packages. See various stories circulating. They obviously find it easier when the description tips them off - like the guy who lost his amplifier, NOT just the valves in it.

I bet they will stop handling anything with lead solder. [I had argument with local authority about disposal of colour TV CRT glass - it is lead glass. They had been screaming about the amount of lead being handled ! They treat it as if it is actually free lead or toxic free-salt/compound. Same with mercury. I don't know what lack-of science and chemistry is taught these days but it is totally pathetic! When we live in an "advanced" culture it behoves us to know an amount of stuff. It can't be totally a Nanny State. Old episode of the Simpsons last night where they made a joke in a speech about "get a half-life" makes me ponder whether it just went straight over the heads of the majority of viewers. People tend to vote and politicians get to decide about waste dumps etc. How can "we" get the right answers when the voters are clueless about the issues. The Greenies and 'enlightened' pollies here in Oz have done a lot of damage over the years through being rather ignorant - just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Doesn't matter how good the science advisers are - the pollies get to set the terms of reference and the scope.
Reason for the above... a lead-in to this.   That tube guy said he had been checking out the ebay setup with ebay guys.
How about someone who is a stake holder trying to chat with the global shipping ninnies?

BTW, I had totally forgotten the very "cute" reaction of mercury and aluminium until the topic of "how much mercury is allowed on an aircraft". I was reminded when I Googled for why it is dangerous.
As I wrote in a post to TCA...
"On the topic of mercury. I had forgotten why mercury isn't allowed on aircraft, so I Googled it again.
"But if the raw elemental aluminium is exposed (e.g. by a scratch) and comes into contact with mercury it forms an amalgam, tearing away at the aluminium and causing it to lose its structural integrity. As the aluminium is eaten away it combines with the air to form aluminium oxide and falls away (as seen in this video). This allows the mercury to reach fresh aluminium and the process then repeats, so a small amount of mercury can do a large amount of damage. If a mercury thermometer were to leak aboard an aeroplane the aeroplane would need to be taken out of service and disassembled to assess the damage the mercury might cause. There have been at least two incidents in which aircraft exposed to mercury have been written off by their insurers."
I didn't followup sources.   It is just like those "impossible" acids etc shown in cartoons [and sci-fi] that just keep eating their way through something without combining and being used up."

I know that it is hard to write some rules that would work for places like Global Shipping. Hard?; probably impossible, so to meet all safety situations a plain "NO" to anything listed is the only way.
BUT, I want to see them extend it to all dangerous stuff.
Cadmium plated items.
Fluorescent globes. (there is a nice German article online discussing the risks of a broken tube)
Paper [with dioxins].
Plastics [outgassing].
Trapped air in packages and "germs".
Sharp corners.
Small items that someone might swallow.
etc.

Shouldn't just apply to the shipping -I wonder how immune to repercussions ebay is if something truely NASTY is sold through them. Bet they think they have it tied up. Better shut them down; they are a risk to our civilisation.

John K

Tomasz Kowalczyk

Jun 23, 2017, 1:51:04 AM6/23/17
to neonixie-l

W dniu piątek, 23 czerwca 2017 04:37:23 UTC+2 użytkownik johnk napisał:
err, I think the point is NOT TO use the Global Shipping by selecting another category, because they DO open [some/all] packages. See various stories circulating. They obviously find it easier when the description tips them off - like the guy who lost his amplifier, NOT just the valves in it.

I bet they will stop handling anything with lead solder. [I had argument with local authority about disposal of colour TV CRT glass - it is lead glass. They had been screaming about the amount of lead being handled ! They treat it as if it is actually free lead or toxic free-salt/compound. Same with mercury. I don't know what lack-of science and chemistry is taught these days but it is totally pathetic!

Well, isn't anti-vaccines movement getting stronger nowadays? I think that if anti-vaccines or flat-earth are things in todays world, we need no explanation why someone CAN'T understand the concept of mercury being trapped inside a tube (which, if they handle the package as supposed, should never break), and even if it comes outside, it is many times smaller amount than in a thermometer - I bet you'd need to break an original box of 25 IN-18 tubes to get this amount of mercury!

[...]

I think the problem lies in education, and to be more specific - lack of ability to differ real knowledge from bullshit. The internet, while being a wonderful tool for work and learning (I was raised in the internet era and seriously, I can't understand how you were supposed to educate yourself at home without the internet!), is also a great place for stupid people and trolls. The biggest issue in searching for information is the ability to see what is a true scientific answer and what is made up by someone. I think that many people believe the latter one because the information is easier to digest than a full scientific report. It will sound logical, but many people won't see a big flaw in the logic of the non-scientist.

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Jun 23, 2017, 7:09:00 AM6/23/17
to neonixie-l
I think its also a big part of just regulations.

Would you (thinking as a company) ship items that contain - or could contain - a substance that ist banned?. If a substance is not allowed by rules, you can't blame the company shipping the packages if the will not break the rules. Its the same thing about "writing a low value" for customs - many people do it, risking a penalty, some people don't to follow the rules.

Alot of RULES are made completely idiotic and senseless, thats where the problem is.

alb.001 alb.001

Jun 23, 2017, 9:52:45 AM6/23/17
to neonixie-l

I had an auction on E-Bay USA. They canceled my auction for a special low temperature thermometer because it contained mercury and thalium which they declared as hazardous and not shippable by any approved methods.   How did it get to me from England if it was not possible to ship it ? I live in Canada. They did not refund the listing price.   Ignorance and stupidity is widespread.

Bill van Dijk

Jun 23, 2017, 2:30:10 PM6/23/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Great discussion!

I think the problem lies in education, and to be more specific - lack of ability to differ real knowledge from bullshit. The internet, while being a wonderful tool for work and learning (I was raised in the internet era and seriously, I can't understand how you were supposed to educate yourself at home without the internet!), is also a great place for stupid people and trolls. The biggest issue in searching for information is the ability to see what is a true scientific answer and what is made up by someone. I think that many people believe the latter one because the information is easier to digest than a full scientific report. It will sound logical, but many people won't see a big flaw in the logic of the non-scientist.

As someone who lived most of my life prior to the internet, I learned through books, and, equally important, from knowledgeable people. Stupid people and trolls had far fewer means of distribution of their rhetoric. Your point about education is still valid though. Educated people who's moral compass points firmly North are better equipped to separate knowledge from bullshit. They appear to become a minority. The "other group" (I'm trying to be politically correct here, otherwise I would have said something like dumbasses) are intimidated by facts and science and are more likely to follow someone who spouts simple, but believable (to them) nonsense presented in a confident manner. That's how a despicable "leader" sparked WW2, and how recently an "unqualified" person became "leader" of one of this world's significant countries. The "internet generation" has a disadvantage due to the fact of sheer volume of information thrown at them. Time to sort fact from fiction is very limited, so it is often easier to go with the majority. I hear it often, "I have seen it on several websites now, it must be true". To stay with electronics, have a look at some of those "audiophool" websites. I saw a discussion where they stated a certain tube under discussion with a "D" shaped getter sounds wayyyyyy better than a tube with an "O" shaped getter. Someone even offered a scientific explanation involving electron clouds forming....... Anyway, my knees are starting to hurt, I have to get down of this soapbox before I die of old age.

Bill

threeneurons

Jun 23, 2017, 7:10:42 PM6/23/17
to neonixie-l
eBay's Global Shipping Program is a big stinking turd. I never use it, and never will !

Be glad they won't ship tubes. Their employees, besides being under educated, are probably poorly trained, if at all. I wouldn't trust them to properly pack 1/2" steel plate. They'll manage to break it. Packing, in the modern world, seems to be rocket science, and all the employees only care about is their paycheck. It doesn't matter if its the Global Shipping center, or Amazon, or McMaster. The packers are judged on speed. Throw the items in the box, chuck the packing list on top of that, and fill the remaining space with packing material. Seal it. Slap the labels on it, then throw it back on the conveyor belt ... next ! You ain't paid to think !

Dekatron42

Jun 25, 2017, 4:55:26 AM6/25/17
to neonixie-l
I know of these problem from personal experience, GSP cancelled shipping on items I bought and reimbursed me and the seller, sometimes part of the shipment has disappeared when passing through the GSP shipping sites as the items have been inspected and repacked (not only electronics but items like Barbie dolls, Lego and other stuff has turned up with parts missing).

But I can't find the limitations described above: Consumer Electronics > Vintage Electronics > Vintage Audio & Video > Vintage Parts & Accessories > Vintage Tubes & Tube Sockets” and “Collectibles > Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone > Radios > Parts & Tubes”

Can anyone show these with screen shots or describe how to show those limitations. I tried to find them but since I don't live in the US they don't apply to me as I can't use the GSP. I'd like to be able to show this to sellers that I am interested in buying items from who use GSP and I would like them to ship with a different courier, some gladly change the shipping but some say there are no limitations and don't want to change the shipping options.

/Martin

JohnK

Jun 28, 2017, 11:56:42 PM6/28/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
When I mentioned "rules" I meant it as distinct from the laws and regulations.
I was meaning the writing of job procedure rules that allow them to work within the laws. For example - how to tell the difference between a getter flash and mercury.

Impossible though; too many reasons why it wouldn't work - the main one being economics.

The stories about losses in the Global Shipping Triangle continue.
Seems that the hint from Rodney covers it - ALL items in the tubes (etc) category get crushed/incinerated/stolen.

John K.

Aug 19, 2017, 6:06:17 PM8/19/17
to neonixie-l
Just got "hit" by this GSP problem: 6 Apollo DA2010 "disposed off" because of dangerous mercury levels.
The thing is, I checked and I was convinced that Numitrons didn't have mercury - couldn't find any information they contain it.
I had other two DA2010 delivered last week via GSP without any issue. This is insane.
And such a rare tube - they just destroyed 6...

Nicholas Stock

Aug 19, 2017, 6:18:07 PM8/19/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
They're incandescent, so I'd be surprised if they contain Mercury!

That's a shame...asshats. You should complain vigorously to eBay.

Manuel Azevedo

Aug 19, 2017, 6:18:51 PM8/19/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Well, waiting for an answer… but I don’t expect miracles.

Tomasz Kowalczyk

Aug 20, 2017, 2:07:53 AM8/20/17
to neonixie-l
Numitrons should have mercury levels comparable to traditional light bulbs. Which is exactly no mercury! There is no technological benefit of adding it to any tube other than Nixies and other neon filled display bulbs. You should get your money back along with apologies from eBay.

Manuel Azevedo

Aug 20, 2017, 3:40:58 AM8/20/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I got a refund, initially not complete, but after complaining about the whole situation, Pitney Bowes, the GSP partner responsible for the destruction, did refund me the total, together with an email saying why they destroyed it ("mercury levels") and that there was no way to open exceptions. My initial email from ebay said only: "congratulations, you got a refund because the item cannot be delivered".
After searching around, I got the impression, from several post of others that got tubes destroyed by GSP, that Pitney Bowes sees the shinny getter surfaces as an indication of mercury. The Apollo and RCA numitrons are known for their beautiful shinny silver coating.
I'm not expecting an apology besides the standard text I got so far. I did vigorously complain, but it got the strength of another "anonymous" email that ebay/gsp get every other day: which is close to nothing, as they shield themselves in airline safety.
I wish that magazines like Wired would pickup on these stories and would expose how GSP is destroying these vintage pieces. I shudder to think that every time someone orders some IN-18 out of the US (might happen!) they can be destroyed this easily. And all could be easily done with some arbitration before destroying the pieces.

Manuel Azevedo

Tomasz Kowalczyk

Aug 20, 2017, 4:07:10 AM8/20/17
to neonixie-l
I cannot facepalm enough. It is really easy to find information about what are getters made of.

Dekatron42

Aug 20, 2017, 5:47:22 AM8/20/17
to neonixie-l
Have you written to Wired and asked them to look into this? It might be worth a try!

/Martin

On Sunday, 20 August 2017 09:40:58 UTC+2, Manuel Azevedo wrote:
I wish that magazines like Wired would pickup on these stories and would expose how GSP is destroying these vintage pieces.

Manuel Azevedo

Manuel Azevedo

Aug 20, 2017, 5:48:36 AM8/20/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Actually, I did, explained to them, added some links, including this conversation. But I guess that they get so many other submissions. Only another one in the pile.

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Aug 20, 2017, 11:29:42 AM8/20/17
to neonixie-l
The sadest thing about this is that they just dump it... they should return it to the seller.. so the things would not end in the trash.

I know a friend that ordered a transmitting tube for nearly 1k$, a very old and rare one, like a museum piece... GSP disposed it.

Ian Vine

Aug 20, 2017, 11:42:06 AM8/20/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This truly is madness. Enforcing crazy rules, for no reason with no knowledge.

I heard old books have fungal spores. Better burn them all if posting

IanV

On 20 Aug 2017, at 16:29, SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F. <jfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

The sadest thing about this is that they just dump it... they should return it to the seller.. so the things would not end in the trash.

I know a friend that ordered a transmitting tube for nearly 1k$, a very old and rare one, like a museum piece... GSP disposed it.

Manuel Azevedo

Aug 20, 2017, 1:55:15 PM8/20/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

It’s really unbelievable. And I have three more items on GSP – two have already came through, have arrived in Switzerland, should be delivered tomorrow. A new set of tubes is still on its way to GSP and I hope they don’t get disposed of. I’ll stop making orders with GSP sales.

Oscilloclock

Aug 22, 2017, 11:35:30 PM8/22/17
to neonixie-l
Does anyone have experience of GSP ruthlessly disposing of _equipment_ containing CRTs or tubes/valves? I mean, is it only individual tube purchases that are trashed, or do we have to worry about them inspecting the internals of equipment purchases as well?

- Aaron

Oscilloclock

Aug 25, 2017, 9:03:54 AM8/25/17
to neonixie-l
Should I be doing this - sending a Shipping Question to folks on eBay offering GSP shipping, to beg them not to? Or might it cause more harm than good by making people worried about shipping overseas and no longer offer to us?

------
Hi there!

I'm afraid I'm all CRT'ed up and won't be bidding, but I noticed that you were offering to ship via GSP. I just wanted to let you know that recently GSP's subcontractors have started 'safely disposing' of CRTs and Nixie tubes without the buyer or sellers' consent, on the usually misguided belief that these tubes contain dangerous substances. Refunds are given to buyers but I don't know if sellers are reimbursed.

I would urge you to not ship via GSP, but please please do continue to support us CRT collectors around the world by offering to ship via normal postal or courier services. My group of friends is devastated every time a rare tube is destroyed needlessly.

For recent examples of this please see:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/neonixie-l/V3jzKzPs9aY/MqwCPg0qAwAJ

And

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/neonixie-l/o1DLO2amf6g/mXW8bPJxCAAJ

Regards
Aaron
---------

Manuel Azevedo

Aug 25, 2017, 10:01:09 AM8/25/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Well, there’s a known vendor from the US that usually doesn’t ship abroad. One day I found and bought some tubes from them. After a day or two, they refunded the sale, said the tubes were in no good condition and relisted the tubes without international shipping.
When I asked once, they said: “We aren’t allowed to ship abroad because of shipping options”.
I never asked, but maybe it was something like this.
Well, I don’t really know, but I would hope that giving sellers some input on how frustrated users will be because of GSP and maybe some of them will ship using other carriers.
I still have two orders through GSP – one is stopped since the 21st in their centre – I’m starting to think it will not go through.

Nicholas Stock

Aug 25, 2017, 10:40:30 AM8/25/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I'll make this offer to the group....if there's something you need assistance shipping outside the US, PM me and I can assist. I've done this before for a few list members, I don't charge anything, just the actual shipping costs....happy to help.

Cheers,

(Pharma) Nick

Roddy Scott

Sep 1, 2017, 5:33:23 AM9/1/17
to neonixie-l
I have just had my first encounter with GSP when I checked my PayPal account and found a deduction to Pitney Bowes Inc for nearly a third of the value of the items I ordered from Canada for a clock build.

This has to be the biggest rip off scam in operation as there was no mention of any other charges other than the cost and shipping of the items to Ireland.

I will no longer buy anything that is to be sent via the GSP as I am not in the habit of giving money away to third parties. I have arranged with a friend that anything I buy from the US gets sent to him and I pay the costs of sending to me.

JohnK

Sep 18, 2017, 2:47:33 AM9/18/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
[I am a bit behind in my reading :-)   ]

Didn't someone [here or TCA Group] say that those twits are judging mercury content by the 'mirroring' seen on a tube? [and/or just its era.]
Any getter flash etc will be mistaken.

John K.

Roddy Scott

Sep 21, 2017, 3:53:10 AM9/21/17
to neonixie-l
Further to this I have just received an email from PayPal informing me that I have won my claim against the GSP charge and will be receiving a refund.

Manuel Azevedo

Sep 21, 2017, 4:03:24 AM9/21/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

The most ridiculous thing about all of this is that I also add some RCA/Apollo 2010 tubes, exactly the same brand and model, sent via GSP and they passed OK: before and after they destroyed the package.

Also, as I mentioned, I had several packages going through GSP – the latest story was an 8971 Burroughs tube that arrived in Switzerland and got lost. Two weeks later seller asks me why did I return it – I said I didn’t, that GSP had failed to deliver. We asked GSP to deliver the package – they took additional 1,5 weeks to answer and they refunded me. Seller as since put the tube again on eBay and won’t sell for the same price I won the original auction… End result, lost a tube again… At least this one was not destroyed.