this is really cool (or maybe hot)

PsyPhi

Nov 24, 2015, 5:44:25 PM11/24/15
to neonixie-l
During my random wanderings though the interwebs, I ran across this neat item:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/101780178/nixie-tube-thermometer-the-nixietherm-ii
I know nothing about it (other than what you can see on this web page), but I thought it was well done.
[Apologies if this has already been the subject of a previous post.]

David Forbes

Nov 24, 2015, 6:30:31 PM11/24/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It's beautiful, but it only goes up to 99 degrees! It gets much hotter in Arizona.
--
David Forbes, Tucson, AZ

PsyPhi

Nov 24, 2015, 6:55:00 PM11/24/15
to neonixie-l, dfo...@dakotacom.net
I think it's intended for indoor use, but you could always switch the jumper to the centigrade display option.

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 6:30:31 PM UTC-5, nixiebunny wrote:
It's beautiful, but it only goes up to 99 degrees! It gets much hotter in Arizona.

Charles MacDonald

Nov 24, 2015, 7:06:33 PM11/24/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, dfo...@dakotacom.net
On 15-11-24 06:55 PM, PsyPhi wrote:
> I think it's intended for indoor use, but you could always switch the
> jumper to the centigrade display option.

BUT But, here we get -30C at least once a winter.

--
Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

gregebert

Nov 24, 2015, 7:23:07 PM11/24/15
to neonixie-l
I'm amazed at the price; parts-cost + shipping leaves almost nothing for whoever built it.
I spend hundreds of hours (and dollars) on each clock I make.

I wonder how much impact the self-heating of the clock has on the temp reading.

PsyPhi

Nov 24, 2015, 8:10:33 PM11/24/15
to neonixie-l

I was surprised by the price too. Quite reasonable for a change. My usual reaction to things like this is "great idea, but I'll make my own instead and save lots of money". Not this time.

The effect of self-heating depends on where the actual temperature sensor is located; hopefully that's intelligently designed. The control circuit dissipates very little power. The power supply would be the main source of heat, and that's apparently in a remote wall-wart.

Instrument Resources of America

Nov 24, 2015, 8:31:47 PM11/24/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
And here I thought -14C was really cold where I am. Ira.
IRACOSALES.vcf

Charles MacDonald

Nov 24, 2015, 8:54:24 PM11/24/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 15-11-24 08:31 PM, Instrument Resources of America wrote:
> And here I thought -14C was really cold where I am. Ira.

Suburbs of Ottawa Canada, third most exteme climate for a capital city
in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa#Climate

Instrument Resources of America

Nov 24, 2015, 9:26:31 PM11/24/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That sure looks like one pretty town. Ira.
IRACOSALES.vcf

threeneurons

Nov 25, 2015, 11:45:39 AM11/25/15
to neonixie-l
Needs a bargraph:

I wonder how much impact the self-heating of the clock has on the temp reading.

And yes, the circuit does emit a little heat, so it does indicate a higher temperature then the rest of the room. The temp sensor should be placed a foot or so away from the unit. I guess his may even be worse, if its inside the plastic. Not as bad, if its on the outside.

A. Nonamus

Nov 26, 2015, 5:34:25 PM11/26/15
to neonixie-l

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 8:45:39 AM UTC-8, threeneurons wrote:
I wonder how much impact the self-heating of the clock has on the temp reading.

And yes, the circuit does emit a little heat, so it does indicate a higher temperature then the rest of the room. The temp sensor should be placed a foot or so away from the unit. I guess his may even be worse, if its inside the plastic. Not as bad, if its on the outside.

Careful design can nearly eliminate that issue. Use the unit's own heat output to establish directional convection from the coolest part of the circuitry toward the hottest, then out. Put the sensor in the intake stream as far as possible from all other components. Then your primary source of error becomes heat conduction through the sensor's leads.