IN-18 new for sale

Mrserj

Apr 22, 2019, 1:25:12 PM4/22/19
to neonixie-l
Sale:

IN-18 - 25 pcs. for $45 each,
Sockets as gift.

Shipping: 10$ + 5$ (Registered Airmail with tracking)
Payment: PayPal

Click

Mac Doktor

Apr 22, 2019, 4:54:52 PM4/22/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Are you selling the entire box or singles? Where are you shipping from?
Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

Mrserj

Apr 23, 2019, 8:03:12 AM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
As you decide... You can buy entire box or only 6 pcs for clock. Shipping from Moldova

neonixie-l

Apr 23, 2019, 8:09:05 AM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
Small but important point - the group is not a general commercial marketplace - the occasional sale is fine but most folk subscribe to neonixie-l by email, and with over 1,000 members, most will be happy with exceptional items, but not commodity sales (we've had complaints in the past - they view it as unrequested SPAM)...

Thanks for your understanding...

Nick

Adam Jacobs

Apr 23, 2019, 10:48:26 AM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
$45 each is the type of great price most folks wont mind hearing.  That's a 2005 price.  I'll contact off list, I've never bought in-18s but always wanted some for a clock.   Side view nixies are silly expensive nowadays if you don't already have boxes of them.
-w7qi

neonixie-l

Apr 23, 2019, 10:54:01 AM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
Not the point. Also, USD 45 is the going rate for 6 or more - have a look at eBay.com. Granted, this offer includes sockets, but again, that's not the point.

I have no objection with the occasional advert IF communication is off-list, but as a principle, sales are something that should be non-commodity.

Thanks

Nick

Grahame

Apr 23, 2019, 11:14:00 AM4/23/19
to neonixie-l

If is does it again then try the handset as well. The low level rotary code was running so the fault must have been at a higher level at which point it is sharing code with the handset.

When you get the console plugged in then try the ADC_ commands and tell me the range of raw ADC values from the LDR from dark t bright (just the ends).

Ran out of 2N7002 mosfets to day so building boards has stopped while I order more buggerit.

Grahame

Apr 23, 2019, 12:07:54 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l

Sorry about that - I replied to the wrong email!

Just put is down to .... you choose...

David Pye

Apr 24, 2019, 10:58:56 AM4/24/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would be interested in buying some.

Could you email me off list please?

Thanks

David

gregebert

Apr 24, 2019, 12:01:01 PM4/24/19
to neonixie-l
I have 14 IN-18 tubes running in my clock for a few years now, with no failures. They are a good quality tube.

Be careful when socketing them, because the pin material is a soft metal that bends easily.
The light surface corrosion on the pins is harmless, and I dont recommend trying to clean it off.
The one exception I've see is an IN-18 manufactured in 1977 that has stiff corrosion-resistant pins.
I've never observed any glowing bondwires, or blue dots.

Keep an eye out for cathode poisoning, because it has happened to me on a few tubes, BUT it has always been 100% recoverable at nominal current.

The cathode poisoning is entirely my fault because the month and year display tubes are basically static. Even though I run a nightly depoisoning sequence for 1 hour, some tubes slowly got poisoned anyways. All I did was swap sockets, and after a few days the problem was gone.

Terry S

martin martin

Apr 24, 2019, 11:33:00 PM4/24/19
to neonixie-l

Mrserj

Apr 25, 2019, 1:06:19 AM4/25/19
to neonixie-l
Only 17 left...

David Pye

Apr 25, 2019, 7:13:39 AM4/25/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That's good to know - thank you!

I am planning some custom-made PCBs with freestanding nixie pins to mount them.

I'll have a look when they arrive and check my KiCAD footprints are right.

I'm also planning to bottom-light them with three 5mm WS2812B-alike 'smart' LEDs per tube.

David

Paul Andrews

David Pye

Apr 25, 2019, 9:59:24 AM4/25/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
For most of the designs that's exactly what I've done, but my thought here was that the glass 'fill nipple' of the IN18 means I'd have to mount off centre, and I wondered if the light might be uneven.

But yeah, I think you're right - perhaps I'm just overdoing it ;-)

David

Paul Andrews

Apr 25, 2019, 11:28:21 AM4/25/19
to neonixie-l
On my boards I've mounted a 3.5mm neopixel right behind the nipple (there isn't room for a 5mm one). It is still bright enough and the illumination looks even. You can see it here https://www.nixies.us/bwg_gallery/in-18/

David Pye

Apr 25, 2019, 11:41:55 AM4/25/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That looks very effective :-)

I usually use the SMD neopixels but have deliberately gone with some THT designs when I've been designing kits,as people understandably prefer those...

David

Michail Wilson

Apr 25, 2019, 1:43:21 PM4/25/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Decided to take a quick look at clocks.

I see some on ebay that state IN-18/Z5660M clocks.

Are the two tubes interchangeable?

Michail

Paul Andrews

Apr 25, 2019, 2:10:02 PM4/25/19
to neonixie-l
No they aren't, so I imagine you have to specify which one you want when you order it.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 25, 2019, 10:37:35 PM4/25/19
to neonixie-l
Have you got any of your ITS1A Clock boards or though of ever doing them again too? After reading everything about thyratrons and your experience now I gotta have one too. I like your site and your philosophy. The open source aspect is 100% legit Paul. I like neopixel in the pic... It looks good like that on the 18. I can't stop thinking about those colors on the side angles from the thyratrons...

Paul Andrews

Apr 25, 2019, 11:25:34 PM4/25/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I’m not going to make another run. Someone on here is having some boards made. I’ll ping him and see if he will have some spare. If not, you can get some made here https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/ITS1A_clock_boards.html

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/e3c670e5-a42d-41c1-bdd4-9b1b1443ed71%40googlegroups.com.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 25, 2019, 11:27:12 PM4/25/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul I'd definitely want in 4sure!

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/5cc27a2b.1c69fb81.8d31f.7029%40mx.google.com.