Nixie Clocks

Roddy Scott

Jul 13, 2016, 2:00:59 AM7/13/16
to neonixie-l
Hi Folks and thanks for inclusion into the group!

I got started with Nixie tubes when I built a large Steam Punk lamp for my daughter's birthday last year and it looked kind of lacking in the middle, that is when I discovered nixie tubes. I added a little IN-12A kit to it and I have been hooked on making them since!

This was followed by a clock with the same kit but using IN-1s for the display and was housed in a piece of oak bannister and a cut off from a stair spindle. I had bought an IN-8 kit for a bigger project but ended up making a very simple clock with the nixies shrouded in wood. I will be returning to the original design later but it is shelved just now as I need to get a new good quality jigsaw for it. The next one was built with a remote tubes kit and I knew the name of it before I even built it, this was "The Hands of Time" clock and featured GN-4 nixies.

Mean time I am nearing the assembly stage with another GN-4 clock called "The Atomium" based on the 1958 Brussels Expo design but in wood. When I get it finished I will post some photos.

The IN-12A kit housing

My daughter's Birthday Present!

My own IN-1 clock

Daylight view

The Nixie Simplex clock

Rear of the housing

"The Hands of Time" clock with GN-4 nixies

Rear and controls of the clock

There have been issues along the way with the likes of failed IN-1 tubes, IRDF220s having thermal runaway and with the type of wiring I seem to end up with, complications, but as with anything, it is a learning curve and I get great pleasure when a clock is sitting there with the digits glowing nicely!

My wife doesn't know it yet but I hope to make a clock with Dalibor Farny tubes in the future as these are masterpieces in design and looks, one can only hope!

I try to do instructables for each clock but sometimes I get so caught up in the making of them that it is too far advanced to make one!

I have added photos of what Ihave made so far and hope theyare to your liking.

Roddy Scott

Jul 13, 2016, 3:13:01 AM7/13/16
to neonixie-l
I forgot to add thanks to a couple of people who helped out with issues and support,

Firstly Pete Virica of PV Electronics  whose kits I use along with his excellent customer service, and secondly, Paul Parry of Bad Dog Designs for encouragement of my designs and featuring them in his DIY page.

Thanks, Guys!

Alic

Jul 22, 2016, 2:25:18 AM7/22/16
to neonixie-l
Hi,
Wow! Very beautiful clocks!
I love the IN-1! If you make an Instructable for this one, I will build it!

Roddy Scott

Jul 22, 2016, 8:03:40 AM7/22/16
to neonixie-l
Hi Alic,

there is an instructable for it, search for Nixie Clock No.2. That should get you there.

Thanks!

Alic

Jul 22, 2016, 11:59:00 AM7/22/16
to neonixie-l