Will Nixies match correctly if they all come from the same case/batch?

Dman777

Jun 26, 2014, 10:20:14 PM6/26/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
If I bought a box/case of Nixie IN-12, would they all be matching? The reason why I ask is because I have read where even when Nixie tubes are the same model they will not match perfectly in size sometime.

aarggh @aarggh.com

Jun 27, 2014, 12:36:42 AM6/27/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I would tend to think within the same batch you'd have reasonably identical tubes, but I've bought lots of IN-12's that have varied in not only size, but also the angle of the digits, one lot I got off a really bad eBay seller a few years back was totally unusable as the tubes varied so greatly, and the face was at slight angles to the case and pins.

Cheers, Ian

On 27 Jun 2014 12:20, "Dman777" <darin....@gmail.com> wrote:
If I bought a box/case of Nixie IN-12, would they all be matching? The reason why I ask is because I have read where even when Nixie tubes are the same model they will not match perfectly in size sometime.

Dman777

Jun 27, 2014, 5:01:27 PM6/27/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Ok, would the whole same batch be inside the same carton? And would it be better to get a carton that has never been opened? Or would it be better to get a carton that has been opened with the tubes tested by the seller? I wasn't sure if that would mean the batch could get mixed up with others if they get tested.

Thanks,
-Darin

petehand

Jun 29, 2014, 3:08:18 AM6/29/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Soviet era nixies are not admired for their quality control. The digit alignment can be off noticeably even with tubes from the same batch in the same box. Soviet VFDs are just as bad - I've had IV16s out of the same box that differed by as much as 50% in brightness, so I have to program the duty cycle for each digit individually in the software to get them matched. If you want a matched set your best bet is to buy a box of 100, sort out six or a dozen that look close, and sell the rest. Otherwise buy American tubes - they don't cost a lot more these days and they'll have a proper '5' as well.

Dman777

Jun 29, 2014, 7:13:34 PM6/29/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking about buying a 6 digit Nixie Clock kit that has IN-12. The seller sells spare tubes for $20.00 a piece. I figured instead of buying 6 for 80 dollars I would get a case with 50pcs for the same amount of money. But, I guess.....would spending the money on a whole box be to risky? Will it be better to buy them individually for $20.00 under the assumption the seller sells me top quality?

Thanks,
-Darin

greg...@hotmail.com

Jun 30, 2014, 12:01:54 AM6/30/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I would buy the box of 50. As someone else said, you can resell them if you wish. More likely, you will become a nixie junkie and will want to make other projects.

aarggh @aarggh.com

Jun 30, 2014, 9:30:24 AM6/30/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Regardless of potential quality issues with buying IN-12's, l would consider $20 each for them a ridiculously high price. As others have mentioned, buy them by the box, you'll get hooked anyway!

Cheers lan