Nixie Shield for Arduino

Marcin Saj

Oct 16, 2017, 5:58:06 PM10/16/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys,

I have a new nixie toys: Nixie Shield for Arduino with 8 tube sockets for many many nixie tubes.

This is very usefull gadget which allows an Arduino board to connect any nixie tube you want to use in your projects.

These "toys" are so good that I decided to launch the indiegogo campaign: https://igg.me/at/arduino-nixie-shield

YouTube: https://youtu.be/nuHvv5SfCj4

Regards
Marcin Saj

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nuHvv5SfCj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Terry S

Oct 16, 2017, 7:07:18 PM10/16/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Neat. You might be running Dalibor's tube a bit too hot.

Marcin Saj

Oct 17, 2017, 2:19:50 AM10/17/17
to neonixie-l
Dalibor gave me a 10 year warranty on it :)

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Oct 17, 2017, 1:13:10 PM10/17/17
to neonixie-l
Very nice project!

And beautiful illustration of the boards/arduino.

Marcin Saj

Oct 17, 2017, 1:41:00 PM10/17/17
to neonixie-l
Thank you Jonathan.
A lot of work with graphics and pleasure with electronics.

Marcin Saj

Nov 1, 2017, 12:14:13 PM11/1/17
to neonixie-l
I have a question about IN-1 nixie tube.
I'm looking for a solution what to use for IN-1 pin socket. This tube have pins diameter ~2.25mm (890 mils)

Any ideas?

gregebert

Nov 1, 2017, 1:39:00 PM11/1/17
to neonixie-l
I have used 0.093" Amphenol connector contacts for the IN-1 and also for the A-101 Dekatron. From there, I have 3D-printed a socket to hold the A-101 tube and the pins. A similar socket for the IN-1 could also be done.

Now, the bad part is these socket pins will take a lot of force for insertion and removal for an entire tube (all pins at the same time), so I only recommend this for infrequent insertion/removal. Not a good solution for a tester.

When I test my nixies at home, I just pull the tube from the one-second position of my garage clock and slightly insert the tube to be tested just enough to make all cathodes cycle thru. Then it goes into storage.

-------------------------------
It's no secret I dont like IN-1's, so I never bothered to print a socket for them. The only thing I have made with three IN-1's is a youtube video of them going into a microwave oven. They produced a few seconds of the most beautiful crimson glow I've ever seen in my life, followed by flames and toxic smoke.

Tomasz Kowalczyk

Nov 1, 2017, 4:08:15 PM11/1/17
to neonixie-l
IN-1/LC-516 have pins not connected directly to the glass, so stress on the pins shouldn't cause cracking of the tube itself.
ElectroNIXclock 4xLC-516 uses a specific type molex connector: https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/zzs525-tz/dc-power-connectors/joint-tech/c5080f-tbe/
I've tried it and it works OK.

Marcin Saj

Nov 2, 2017, 5:56:52 PM11/2/17
to neonixie-l
Thanks for a tip.
IN-1 tubes are ugly and I don't like them too. Unfortunately I need to make a smooth socket for a Nixie Shield and new Nixie Tester.

Marcin Saj

Nov 2, 2017, 6:01:54 PM11/2/17
to neonixie-l
Thank you Tomasz for a link.
I will try with molex. This is not perfect but promising idea.

Marcin Saj

Nov 26, 2017, 9:41:57 AM11/26/17
to neonixie-l
Hi guys,
I have a new sockets for my latest project https://igg.me/at/arduino-nixie-shield
Now Nixie Shield can works with 15 different nixie sockets.

Regards
Marcin Saj

Marcin Saj

Nov 26, 2017, 9:48:10 AM11/26/17
to neonixie-l
In the end I built the prototype and the socket with molex pins is functional but too tight for use as a tester socket.
I need to try something different.