Dekatron Internet Speedometer

blave

Jul 30, 2015, 10:03:51 PM7/30/15
to neonixie-l
If this was mentioned here, I missed it.

http://hackaday.com/2015/07/30/an-internet-speedometer-with-a-dekatron/

cheers,

Dave.

blkadder

Jul 30, 2015, 10:09:55 PM7/30/15
to neonixie-l, bla...@gmail.com
That is a pretty awesome use for a dekatron.  I have a couple, but they are just hooked up to the dekatron thingy that TortugaScuba offers.

Kerry Borgne

Jul 31, 2015, 8:18:23 AM7/31/15
to neonixie-l, bla...@gmail.com
That's sweet but way over my old head to recreate...

threeneurons

Jul 31, 2015, 11:31:32 AM7/31/15
to neonixie-l, bla...@gmail.com
Neat ! I'm guessing its showing the statue of his internet connection. If it was mine, it would only show, one dot.

As my "dohickie" kit, goes, its tied to a microphone, which a uC measures, to determine how many dots to sweep thru. Only one "dot" is ON at any time. You sweep back and forth, n number of dots, at a high speed, to make several look ON. The dohickie can be adapted to any analog signal.

The internet speedometer relays digital data.

With an Arduino you could rig something to display just about any type of data. I noticed they have a compass board, for cheap. That one would be perfect to connect to a dekatron, for its display. Jeff Thomas (quite a while ago)  mentioned to me, that a guy was looking for just that type of device. With that inexpensive board, I might just do it.

Quixotic Nixotic

Aug 2, 2015, 8:41:04 AM8/2/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Mike Harrison and his link to the GE Glow lamp manual at http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/oldbooks.html has been mentioned in a thread about the musical application of neon at Muffwiggler, in the music synthesiser DIY section. Some of you might be interested, or have something to contribute.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70250

John S

David Forbes

Aug 2, 2015, 12:29:03 PM8/2/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Neon bulbs are an excellent source of jitter. It sounds every bit as
rasty as I expected. (yes, I just made up that word.)
--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ