(12) 16-Pin NIXIE TUBES National Electronics NL5441A Burroughs B5441A Untested

Nicholas Stock

Apr 21, 2019, 10:47:27 AM4/21/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
More price craziness...

Sent from my iPhone

Terry S

Apr 21, 2019, 12:18:37 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Several low feedback bidders. Might be shilling....

martin martin

Apr 21, 2019, 12:20:37 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
One of those tube does not look too happy...

Kevin A.

Apr 21, 2019, 1:19:03 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Definitely shilling. Over 50 bids, most of them the same low feedback bidder. Another sleazeBay special!

jf...@my-deja.com

Apr 21, 2019, 1:39:23 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 10:19:03 AM UTC-7, Kevin A. wrote:
..... Over 50 bids, most of them the same low feedback bidder. Another sleazeBay special!

It looks more like a product of the automatic bidding process where the lower bids are instantaneously by the previous high bid, with lots of hopeful small increases by the lower bidder.

Kevin A.

Apr 21, 2019, 1:53:21 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Looks like he hasn't figured out the Ebay bidding process yet. Put in the highest amount you're willing to spend. If you're beat, then someone is willing to pay more. Simple.

Bill Notfaded

Apr 23, 2019, 9:11:48 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
I was wondering the same thing... I have a bunch of these tubes and they aren't anything special... I'm glad I'm not the only one they was like huh???

Jeff Walton

Apr 23, 2019, 9:29:49 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
It's the "A" designation that makes them more rare and valuable. Over the last year, the 5441A round top versions have gone for $45-$60. The plain 5441s with the evacuation nipple on top are $10-$15. If you really have a bunch of 5441A tubes, you might discover that they will bring a nice price.

Jeff Walton

Apr 23, 2019, 9:35:16 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
That last lot of 5441A were really used and some of them were really darkened. Probably came out of old test equipment that already had 10 or more years displaying the same numbers...

Bill Notfaded

Apr 23, 2019, 9:43:58 PM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Crazy I think mine are all A's they don't have a pulled off nipple on top.  I'll take some pictures when I get back to Arizona I'm in Colorado until Thursday.  They have so many pins and tight next to each other I had hard time testing them getting the pins from the tester on them.  One thing I do like about them is the tight grid.  I was literally testing them this weekend with Marcin's tube tester.  They make nice clear digits due to the small grid.

Bill

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019, 7:29 PM Jeff Walton <jwalt...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's the "A" designation that makes them more rare and valuable.  Over the last year, the 5441A round top versions have gone for $45-$60.  The plain 5441s with the evacuation nipple on top are $10-$15.  If you really have a bunch of 5441A tubes, you might discover that they will bring a nice price.

Jeff Walton

Apr 23, 2019, 9:50:31 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
If you want an outstanding clock to put some in, the Omninixie from YanZeyuan is one of the clocks that has a version for the 5441/A. It's really nice!

Bill Notfaded

Apr 23, 2019, 9:53:38 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
I've noticed that as well some have some silvering inside the tube... The weird thing is it doesn't seem to cover the digits... It's like it shows up on the sides? I've seen other tubes where the entire inside is covered... Not even silver colored metal build up but more like darker color.

Paul Andrews

Apr 24, 2019, 7:11:00 AM4/24/19
to neonixie-l
Theory is that one of the reasons for the anode mesh in Nixie tubes is to catch the material sputtered off the cathodes during use. Some tubes (I’m thinking IN-18) have gaps on the sides that let material through during the burn-in process. The presence of material on the glass in these tubes does not mean the tubes are used.

Anyway, you can blame divergence meters for the price of 5441A tubes.

martin martin

Apr 24, 2019, 10:46:18 AM4/24/19
to neonixie-l
I have always liked National tubes,  The glass seems thicker - not as fragile!

Bill Notfaded

Apr 24, 2019, 1:28:57 PM4/24/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
They do seem like tubes you could bounce off a hard smooth floor almost and they'd just ricochet... ping!

Bill Notfaded

Apr 24, 2019, 7:02:24 PM4/24/19
to neonixie-l
Wow nice looking clocks. Thanks for the tip. They have NL-841 version as well. I have some of those tubes too I didn't know what to do with. Can't hurt to try one. I like seeing how they built them inside too anyhow. I like some of the newer stuff with surface mount components so they're thinner. GPS is nice but ntp is better and really cheaper. Once a clock has WiFi... why not?

I've got another project a six tube Dalibor tube clock I'm interested in working on using vfdclock guy Jing Jing's new clock board. I've been waiting for something like that... The board is really really thin. He says he's working on a case for it now but I'm putting something besides laser cut acrylic on something that nice. I've stayed away from buying z568x tubes since I'd rather give Dalibor the business and his tubes are cheaper, nicer, and new. It's a goal of mine.