OT: On-line CNC experiences...

Nick

Apr 2, 2015, 10:17:08 AM4/2/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Got a number of projects on the go.

Looking to have some on-line CNC done, in aluminium, then black anodised.

Initial volume is about the size of a CD case by about 30mm

Anyone know of a good & CHEAP-ISH place to do this? And a decent 3D CAD package - I'm using SolidEdge for 2D - the code of the 3D upgrade is mad.

Precision is not the main driver - good finish rather than precision.

Thanks

Nick

Christian Bjelle

Apr 2, 2015, 10:27:46 AM4/2/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
As for a 3D CAD package, I’m very happy with http://www.punchcad.com: The $99 2d/3d is fine, although I use the $249 ViaCAD Pro, that has some extra features, like ”photo” rendering.

//c

Nick

Apr 2, 2015, 10:36:36 AM4/2/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, 2 April 2015 15:27:46 UTC+1, obsoletemac wrote:
Hi.
As for a 3D CAD package, I’m very happy with http://www.punchcad.com: The $99 2d/3d is fine, although I use the $249 ViaCAD Pro, that has some extra features, like ”photo” rendering.

Just found out that SolidEdge do a free Student Edition which, as I have a son doing Civil Engineering at university, is very useful :)

I know SE, in its 2D variant at least, so will give the 3D version a go for a while...

Nick

Oscilloclock

Apr 3, 2015, 7:01:43 AM4/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I'm also interested in seeing where people go for fabrication.

As for the 3D modelling software, I've used SketchUp for years for hobby projects 'just because'. However, I've become increasingly frustrated at its inability to export intersected curves and arcs "cleanly" to DXF, even with the SketchUp Pro version. When intersecting a curved shape against another shape, the intersection is represented as polylines rather than a spline or arc. I also have faced issues with entire curved surfaces not exporting, especially at millimetre sizes. It's quite a limitation not to be able to send fabricators clean design files, so I'll be watching this thread to see what other options are out there!

Aaron

Dalibor

Apr 3, 2015, 10:09:13 AM4/3/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I also use ViaCAD 2D/3D (bought for $99) from Punchcad, it is perfect SW for this price. My typical workflow is drawing 2D shapes in QCAD, import DWG into ViaCAD and extrude the shapes, do some boolean operations and so.. Then export to STEP for CNC milling.

My neighbour works for CNC machining company, he can buy free time of the machines and do his own projects on it. So all things I need to do on CNC lathe/mill I order at him, he is willing to do even only 1 piece. It is usually 50-70% cheaper than when I would order it directly at the company. If You cant find anyone to do that job, send me STEP file, I will ask him for price calculation.

Regards,

Dan Hollis

Apr 6, 2015, 1:18:56 AM4/6/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone make enclosures for tubehobby kits anymore?

numinex is long since dead and gone.

-Dan

Kiran Otter

Apr 6, 2015, 10:03:03 AM4/6/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
It may not be entirely elegant but I used a hobby model display case for mine.  Found one with a wood base I could bolt the clock to.

Kiran

Terry Kennedy

Apr 6, 2015, 3:12:02 PM4/6/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 1:18:56 AM UTC-4, bani wrote:
Does anyone make enclosures for tubehobby kits anymore?

numinex is long since dead and gone.

I have a number of new-in-box Numinex NXTH-18 enclosures in both black and white which I will sell to US addresses only, for the same price Numinex charged ($79.90) plus $7.00 shipping.

I also have a number of custom pieces from Numinex. These are similar to the top of the black NXTH-18 enclosure, but are a simple flat piece of black plex with holes for the IN-18 tubes and small holes for the four corner mounting screws. This is to provide a nicer top finish for the clock when mounted in a clear enclosure - it completely covers the top of the PCB. I can post a picture if anyone is interested. $16.00 including the standoffs and other hardware plus $5.00 shipping.