Nixie tube history

jb-electronics

Jun 25, 2018, 3:04:57 PM6/25/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nxiie friends,

I recently wrote a short article about the current understanding of the
history of the Nixie tube, and it appeared in IEEE Spectrum today, check
it out:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/dawn-of-electronics/the-nixie-tube-story-the-neon-display-tech-that-engineers-cant-quit

For an earlier, more lengthy write-up, see my personal website:
http://www.jb-electronics.de/html/elektronik/nixies/n_nixie_geschichte.htm?lang=en

Let me know if you have any comments, I am always eager to learn more
about Nixie tube history!

Best wishes
Jens

Terry S

Jun 25, 2018, 3:41:25 PM6/25/18
to neonixie-l
Very nice article Jens, congratulations.
Terry

Jeff Walton

Jun 26, 2018, 2:36:50 AM6/26/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Nicely done! Good use of photographs and well written.

Jeff W

Dennis

Jun 26, 2018, 4:08:57 AM6/26/18
to neonixie-l
Very nice read as usual. Thank you Jens.

Dennis
KB7DV

Terry Kennedy

Jun 26, 2018, 1:26:35 PM6/26/18
to neonixie-l
On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 3:04:57 PM UTC-4, Jens Boos wrote:
I recently wrote a short article about the current understanding of the
history of the Nixie tube, and it appeared in IEEE Spectrum today, check
it out:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/dawn-of-electronics/the-nixie-tube-story-the-neon-display-tech-that-engineers-cant-quit

This reminds me that I need to finish up my article on the B7971. It turns out that the Burroughs B7971 and the Ultronic Systems Lectrascan were not the first 14-segment electronic stock ticker display system. In an interesting coincidence, the system that pre-dated it was designed by a man named Burroughs (no relation to the company of the same name).